Highlighted
Flexera
Flexera

Re: Ever question why a software installation in FNMS is showing up?

Thanks for the feedback, we intentionally didn't add it to the reports as early tests showed that due to the amount of records it would bring back, particularly around file evidence; it would create a number of performance issues in particular on our cloud.

As a result, we're going down 2 approaches, first is adding an evidence tab to the inventory device and then down the line we'll add a Devices tab to the evidence record so you can see how many devices reported that evidence.

Would the addition of this second item help address your need?

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@MrPotato - check out the following post (and other discussion in the same thread) which may help if you are using FlexNet Manager Suite On-premises and want to use the reporting interface to expose evidence details: Unrecognized Evidence Report

As @mrichardson noted, you do need to be very careful about data size. It is very easy to generate massive amounts of data in these types of reports, so proceed with care. If you are really needing to work with the massive amounts of data, the interactive reporting interface is probably not the right place to go.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Active participant

@mrichardson, that's why I thought Flexera should deliver a report out of the box where by default they'd put a limitation on the end-user as to what it can generate. E.g. like it is with a ApplicationInstallationDetail where you need to choose a publisher and then precisely choose product names. To some extent that would limit the number of results, right? I'm just throwing ideas here, I don't know if it's a good approach or not.

Evidence tab in the application is a step in a good direction.

@ChrisG, I'm trying not to relay on custom reports due to the no-maintenance policy. Like in a case where they would cause unexpected issues. But I might give it a go in a test environment - thanks.

Highlighted
Flexera
Flexera

When I was scoping this feature, I did look at a report with a set filter however I found that there were different use cases to cater for when speaking to different customers e.g. some would want to limit by Computer and see all evidence for all reported applications, some wanted to limit by application and see all evidence for all computers that have that application installed.

Those were the most common scenarios but there were others, when I spoke to our architecture experts I was advised that implementing a report of that nature that allowed one or the other filter would be risky in the current architecture so the only other option would be not to have a mandatory filter which brings us back to the performance issues, particularly for cloud.

As we update the architecture, I plan to re-visit this in future to see if it's more doable but in the meantime the options are:

1. Custom report as Chris mentions for On-Premises customers.
  2. Add a Devices tab to the evidence properties and views e.g. Unrecognized Evidence
  3. Continue with only the Evidence tab on Inventory Device properties

If you or anyone else is interested in option 2 in particular, please reply on this thread so that I can gauge interest, alternatively, we are bringing out a new Ideation portal early next year which will be the perfect place to submit ideas for improving FNMS.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.
Highlighted
Active participant

@mrichardson so hereby I express my interest in having feature no. 2