cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different methods to feed license consumption data into Flexera

Hi Team,

Splunk licenses are based on Ingestion of data into Splunk as updated by Splunk application team.
Received Ingestion data for 4 of the Splunk products/licenses mentioned below.
Splunk Enterprise for DNS & Netflow Data Gb
Splunk Enterprise Security
Splunk Enterprise
Splunk Enterprise Security for DNS & Netflow Data Gb

These licenses are created with license type as 'custom metric' in our environment FNMS 2023R1.
This consumption data has to be fed into consumption section of license configuration & ELP(Effective License Position) report needs to be generated from flexera.
Can you please provide all possible methods to feed this consumption data into flexera and share the respective documentation accordingly. Any help on this request is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Venkat.

(8) Replies

Hello Team,
Can anyone please respond to the above mentioned query, thanks.

Kind Regards,
Sachin MS

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The consumption count on license records of type "Custom Metric" can be set by opening the license in the web UI and entering the relevant number into the "Consumed entitlements" field on the "Compliance" tab:

image.png

If you are using Flexera One ITAM or FlexNet Manager Suite 2024 R1 or later, you can also develop business adapters to update this field.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

If you plan to use a business adapter you'll need to include a custom SQL query in the adapter that uses a SQL string like the following example to update the NumberInstalled field on the license because thats the field that updates the consumption number:

UPDATE SoftwareLicense_MT SET NumberInstalled=### WHERE Name='XXX'

As always its important and recommended to take a database backup and use caution when making changes directly to the database. 

Yes, the approach of using a custom SQL query can be used with a business adapter in any version of FlexNet Manager Suite (not Flexera One ITAM). This does require that the business adapter is connecting directly to the compliance database and not running on a beacon.

A custom SQL query is not required to do this if you are using a business adapter with FlexNet Manager Suite 2024 R1 or Flexera One ITAM. The consumption count can be set directly through the Entitlement Consumption (For Custom Metric Licenses Only) field available on the License object:

image.png

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

That's great to know Chris. I wasn't aware of this new field yet. OP noted they are on FNMS 2023 R1 so it sounds like they'd need the custom query.

Thank you @ChrisG 

Hello Chris,
Thanks for the information that you have provided regarding the manual declaration of the data into Flexera.
Can you please provide any documentation for this manual declaration process so that it will be helpful for us.
Please share the step-by-step procedure for this process in a document if there are any so that we will use it for our validation.

Kind regards,
Venkat.

Hello @ChrisG ,
Can you please provide an update on this.

Kind Regards,
Sachin MS