cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting PVU to VPC for DB2 Workgroup Server Edition

We are wondering how to convert IBM's DB2 Workgroup Server Edition PVU Licensing to IBM's new DB2 Server Edition VPC licensing.

We just received our renewal quote with this footnote:

Product/Part Replacement Information Footnote(s)
Current quoted product replaces purchased product (purchased part, purchased qty) on effective replacement date
Db2 SE VPC Option per VPC ( E0Q5WLL ) replaces Db2 Wkgrp Svr Ed per PVU ( E024RLL , 880 ) effective 06/04/2019

There is no explanation, nothing how conversion from PVU to VPC, nothing. No one from IBM talked to us, or communicated this to us. Is this happening to others?

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(1) Solution
tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran
Hi Erick

Further to your post I believe my colleague Alessandra may have been/is continuing to work directly with you on this –

VPC is a new IBM core based entitlement metric – details can be found in the IBM License Information document (LID)
DB2 Standard Edition 11.5 - https://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sladb.nsf/lilookup/971B0C903A89B59385258426004E9D2C?OpenDocument

I have to admit I haven’t yet been specifically involved in a PVU to VPC conversion – but on the basis you have 880 PVU’s you would need to check/ensure your VPC post renewal quantity provides sufficient cores for your existing requirements/licensed devices.

e.g. if IBM are applying a 120 PVU to 1 Core VPC basis you may receive 8 (7.3 rounded up) VPC’s but if you currently have your PVU software deployed on 70 or 100 PVU per core rated processor devices then your 880 PVU’s could be covering additional cores, potentially leaving you short for your new VPC requirements. If your renewal quantity is 13 (12.57 rounded up) VPC’s it’d suggest a 70 PVU per core rating has been applied as a ratio to convert.

In your FNMS PVU reports / Consumption tab of the license you should be able to easily identify the number of cores of the devices contributing to your current/peak license consumption.

In regards to IBM providing no explanation – I would suggest (especially if you haven’t already signed the renewal) going back to IBM to confirm the conversion ratio applied and any clarity (if required further to the license terms) needed regarding how the new metric should be calculated/managed and your downgrade rights / migration requirements etc.

An updated Flexera IBM Practice Guide (available in the Flexera Learning Center) will soon be being released which in addition to including FNMS 2019 IBM management updates will contain information on VPC management in FNMS.

Thanks
Toby
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran
Hi Erick

Further to your post I believe my colleague Alessandra may have been/is continuing to work directly with you on this –

VPC is a new IBM core based entitlement metric – details can be found in the IBM License Information document (LID)
DB2 Standard Edition 11.5 - https://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sladb.nsf/lilookup/971B0C903A89B59385258426004E9D2C?OpenDocument

I have to admit I haven’t yet been specifically involved in a PVU to VPC conversion – but on the basis you have 880 PVU’s you would need to check/ensure your VPC post renewal quantity provides sufficient cores for your existing requirements/licensed devices.

e.g. if IBM are applying a 120 PVU to 1 Core VPC basis you may receive 8 (7.3 rounded up) VPC’s but if you currently have your PVU software deployed on 70 or 100 PVU per core rated processor devices then your 880 PVU’s could be covering additional cores, potentially leaving you short for your new VPC requirements. If your renewal quantity is 13 (12.57 rounded up) VPC’s it’d suggest a 70 PVU per core rating has been applied as a ratio to convert.

In your FNMS PVU reports / Consumption tab of the license you should be able to easily identify the number of cores of the devices contributing to your current/peak license consumption.

In regards to IBM providing no explanation – I would suggest (especially if you haven’t already signed the renewal) going back to IBM to confirm the conversion ratio applied and any clarity (if required further to the license terms) needed regarding how the new metric should be calculated/managed and your downgrade rights / migration requirements etc.

An updated Flexera IBM Practice Guide (available in the Flexera Learning Center) will soon be being released which in addition to including FNMS 2019 IBM management updates will contain information on VPC management in FNMS.

Thanks
Toby
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)