cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk linking of inventory

I know that you can use the Business Adapter to bulk load devices onto FNMS. However, I haven't seen any guidance on how to link them to inventory also in bulk. I recon it can be quite time consuming to link this one by one by clicking. Is there a way to do this in bulk?

Thanks!

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like you may be thinking here about linking asset  and inventory device records. (If you have some other linking in mind then the following comments may not be relevant.)

There are a few common scenarios here:

1. If you use a business adapter to create asset records after inventory device records have already been created, the adapter will (by default) attempt to link as many records as possible based on serial number. There are some subtleties here (e.g. I don't think it automatically links for non-unique serial numbers), but as long as you have good quality serial number data this will generally work reasonably.
  2. If you have a scenario where inventory device records imported and then you want to create asset records for them manually, you can do that under the Discovery & Inventory > Inventory without assets page: select all the inventory devices you want asset records of a particular type created for, and click Create an inventory device.
  3. If you have a scenario where asset records are created first and inventory is subsequently imported, you can also review and accept (as appropriate) recommended links on the Discovery & Inventory > Inventory without assets page. The system will recommend links based on a matching serial number. It may help to filter the page to show records with a non-blank value in the Recommended asset link column, and then multi-select rows to perform bulk operations. If you don't have good quality serial number data to enable the system to provide linking recommendations, I don't have a good suggestion for you sorry!
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like you may be thinking here about linking asset  and inventory device records. (If you have some other linking in mind then the following comments may not be relevant.)

There are a few common scenarios here:

1. If you use a business adapter to create asset records after inventory device records have already been created, the adapter will (by default) attempt to link as many records as possible based on serial number. There are some subtleties here (e.g. I don't think it automatically links for non-unique serial numbers), but as long as you have good quality serial number data this will generally work reasonably.
  2. If you have a scenario where inventory device records imported and then you want to create asset records for them manually, you can do that under the Discovery & Inventory > Inventory without assets page: select all the inventory devices you want asset records of a particular type created for, and click Create an inventory device.
  3. If you have a scenario where asset records are created first and inventory is subsequently imported, you can also review and accept (as appropriate) recommended links on the Discovery & Inventory > Inventory without assets page. The system will recommend links based on a matching serial number. It may help to filter the page to show records with a non-blank value in the Recommended asset link column, and then multi-select rows to perform bulk operations. If you don't have good quality serial number data to enable the system to provide linking recommendations, I don't have a good suggestion for you sorry!
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Hi Chris, Thanks for the help! Yes, scenario 1 fits what I am looking for. Will give this one a try. Actually, I wasn't aware that the linking between the two is automatic via Serial Numbers. Thanks Again!