cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions about the linked asset field in a inventory device record.

Hello, I have a question about the "Linked Asset" field in an inventory record. Before getting into my question I would like to note that we have the following setting, marked in yellow, unchecked, but that our environment acts as if it is checked. This is a bug according to Flexera support and it is being handled in a case:

arjan3.PNG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is in my understanding that device records in "All Inventory" and asset records in "All Assets" can be linked when they have the same serial number. When I click the name hyperlink in "All Inventory" it directs me to the device record. If I click the linked asset hyperlink in "All Inventory" it directs me to the asset that belongs with it. This seems to work as expected:

arjan.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the picture below we see a different case where there seems to be no linked asset. But when I open the device, the field linked asset is populated where it says via host (xxxxx004). 

Question 1: this behaviour should occur when the setting mentioned at the start of this post, is checked. Is that assumption correct?

Question 2: should the via host hyperlink not send me to the asset directly, instead of first directing me to the host device and from there on to the host asset?

Question 3: When you look at the all inventory page you will see that the linked asset field is blank. I assume that this means that the device mvp-tst2 does not have an asset linked to it. Is that assumption correct?

Question 4: why is the field linked asset used for showing via host? It seems to me that it only tells the user that a potential asset can be found somewhere in the host device. But looking at question 3, there is no actual hard asset link I assume. This seems ambiguous and I am wondering why Flexera has choosen this field to show this information.
arjan2.png

Thanks in advance

(0) Replies