cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Variable not translating in “My Apps - Alert Email Notification”

We customized the “My Apps - Alert Email Notification”.  We begin the notification with the user's first name.  That variable is not getting resolved.

I have tried every variable I can find in the notification but none of them resolve (listed below).  However, the notification gets sent to the person's email address.

We checked the User Computer Relationships and all the information is populated.  Why can it grab the email address but not the first name?

We tried these variables in our testing:

##Visitor_sAMAccountName##
##UserName##
##Requester_UserName## 
##Username## 
##Email##
##Requester_Email##
##Email##
##Visitor_givenName##
##FullName## 
##Requester_FirstName##
##FirstName## 
##TargetUserName##
##UniqueName## 
##UniqueUserName## 
##Username##
##Requester_PrimaryUser## 
##Requester_UniqueName## 
##Username##

None of them resolve.  However, the ##Target## and ##MY_APPS_ALERT_TABLE## variables work.

Thanks,

Joan

(1) Solution

Here's some additional context:

Visitor variables are only available during the shopping/checkout process and represent the currently logged in user for that browser session.

##Visitor_givenName##

Requester and Target variables are related to a request that has been submitted in App Portal. In the context of My Apps, alerts are tied to an application (by Flexera ID) and a device (by inventory device name).  These alerts may be associated with applications that were never requested through App Portal and are targeting devices, not users, so there is no Requester or Target in the My Apps context.

##Requester_UserName## 
##Requester_Email##
##Requester_FirstName##
##Requester_UniqueName## 
##TargetUserName##

One could argue that the following variables should be resolvable as part of My Apps email notifications, based on the user to whom the email is being sent (just a simple lookup on the WD_User table).  It's just a matter of adding the code that resolves the variables in this area of the code.  I would suggest submitting an Idea on our Ideas portal, describing the use case (not the technical solution).  Then Product Management/Engineering can do some brainstorming to figure out the best option for providing the needed functionality (e.g. maybe they add some new ##MyApps_...## variables or maybe they just use existing variables - hopefully this would include custom catalog variables, though this could be problematic in the scenario of SmartUninstall where there is no catalog item associated with the alert).

##UserName##
##Username## 

##Email##
##FullName## 
##FirstName## 
##UniqueName## 
##UniqueUserName## 
##Username##

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In most cases (if not all), the My Apps notifications will only be able to resolve those variables that are defined in the original notification. This being the case, I do not see a way that you would be able to resolve the user's email address in the My Apps - Alert Email Notification.

Here's some additional context:

Visitor variables are only available during the shopping/checkout process and represent the currently logged in user for that browser session.

##Visitor_givenName##

Requester and Target variables are related to a request that has been submitted in App Portal. In the context of My Apps, alerts are tied to an application (by Flexera ID) and a device (by inventory device name).  These alerts may be associated with applications that were never requested through App Portal and are targeting devices, not users, so there is no Requester or Target in the My Apps context.

##Requester_UserName## 
##Requester_Email##
##Requester_FirstName##
##Requester_UniqueName## 
##TargetUserName##

One could argue that the following variables should be resolvable as part of My Apps email notifications, based on the user to whom the email is being sent (just a simple lookup on the WD_User table).  It's just a matter of adding the code that resolves the variables in this area of the code.  I would suggest submitting an Idea on our Ideas portal, describing the use case (not the technical solution).  Then Product Management/Engineering can do some brainstorming to figure out the best option for providing the needed functionality (e.g. maybe they add some new ##MyApps_...## variables or maybe they just use existing variables - hopefully this would include custom catalog variables, though this could be problematic in the scenario of SmartUninstall where there is no catalog item associated with the alert).

##UserName##
##Username## 

##Email##
##FullName## 
##FirstName## 
##UniqueName## 
##UniqueUserName## 
##Username##

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thanks jdempsey and CharlesW for your information.  I went ahead and created an idea for it.