cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My App Software Reclamation Reminder Notification?

We are implementing My Apps in App Portal and are working on how the entire process will work from the end users point of view.  We have the initial email configured to send to the end user asking if they use the software any longer.  If the user indicates they don't, we would like to have a reminder email sent to the user a few days before the software is reclaimed.

We don't see a way to do that.  Is there a reminder email option?

Also, we wonder if the user doesn't respond to the initial notification, is there a way to send another email?

Thanks,

Joan

(2) Solutions
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There is currently no way to send out a reminder email with the My Apps alerts.  I might suggest that you open an idea for this. 

View solution in original post

Sorry to contradict Charlie, but I'd like to provide some clarification, as I'm not sure I'm understanding your specific scenario.  First, if the user receives the initial notification, clicks the link to go to My Apps, and then responds to the alert by choosing the Uninstall option, the uninstall request should get submitted immediately, not on the next run of the scheduled task.  So, it doesn't make sense to send a reminder notification "a few days before the software is reclaimed".

Second, when you set up the policy, you can set a "grace period" (i.e. if the user hasn't responded after XX days, automatically reclaim the software).  As long as this grace period is set to be longer than the frequency of the My Apps notifications scheduled task, the user will continue to receive notifications each time the scheduled task runs, right up until the end of the grace period.  After that time, the next cycle of the My Apps alert processing scheduled task will submit the uninstall request.

Now, if you're saying that you've modified the My Apps email notification to remove the link to My Apps and you are just asking them to reply to the email, then they will never be able to select the "Uninstall" or "Keep" actions (unless they happen to visit the My Apps tab in the UI on their own).  In this case, they will still receive those scheduled reminders (weekly by default) until the grace period has lapsed.  Keep in mind that the email notification will be the same every time the scheduled task runs.  There is no distinction between a "first" notification and a "reminder" notification.  So, if that's what you're trying to accomplish, then Charlie is correct that there is no separate "reminder" notification message.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There is currently no way to send out a reminder email with the My Apps alerts.  I might suggest that you open an idea for this. 

Ok thanks for the reply, Charles.  I will do that.

Sorry to contradict Charlie, but I'd like to provide some clarification, as I'm not sure I'm understanding your specific scenario.  First, if the user receives the initial notification, clicks the link to go to My Apps, and then responds to the alert by choosing the Uninstall option, the uninstall request should get submitted immediately, not on the next run of the scheduled task.  So, it doesn't make sense to send a reminder notification "a few days before the software is reclaimed".

Second, when you set up the policy, you can set a "grace period" (i.e. if the user hasn't responded after XX days, automatically reclaim the software).  As long as this grace period is set to be longer than the frequency of the My Apps notifications scheduled task, the user will continue to receive notifications each time the scheduled task runs, right up until the end of the grace period.  After that time, the next cycle of the My Apps alert processing scheduled task will submit the uninstall request.

Now, if you're saying that you've modified the My Apps email notification to remove the link to My Apps and you are just asking them to reply to the email, then they will never be able to select the "Uninstall" or "Keep" actions (unless they happen to visit the My Apps tab in the UI on their own).  In this case, they will still receive those scheduled reminders (weekly by default) until the grace period has lapsed.  Keep in mind that the email notification will be the same every time the scheduled task runs.  There is no distinction between a "first" notification and a "reminder" notification.  So, if that's what you're trying to accomplish, then Charlie is correct that there is no separate "reminder" notification message.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thanks for the information jdempsey!  That does answer our question.  We didn't understand that an additional email will be sent every time the My Apps Email Notification scheduled task runs.  That will work for our purposes, even though it is the same email.  We know some of the users won't see or act on that first email.  🙂