cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does App Broker determine which license to choose?

How does App Broker determine which license to reserve when an application is both a stand-alone and part of a suite? For example, Adobe Acrobat Pro is part of the Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams suite, but is also a stand-alone application with its own licenses. How does App Broker know which license to reserve?

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(1) Solution

App Broker doesn't determine that.  All license-related activity happens within FNMS, based on the data passed from App Broker.  App Broker essentially sends 4 pieces of information: user, device, Flexera ID, and scope (global, enterprise groups only, enterprise groups first, then fall back to global).  When App Broker checks for availability, FNMS will look at the Flexera ID and determine which licenses are associated with that application.  The license priority assigned within FNMS (which may be "automatic" or user-defined) would then be used to determine which license to apply first, second, third, etc. until it finds one that meets the scope restrictions and has availability.  When a reservation is placed, it basically just puts that user/device into a "queue" that isn't necessarily tied to a specific license (it is tied to the application).  After the software gets installed on the device and inventoried, the consumption will be tied to a specific license during the reconciliation process in FNMS (again, based on the license priority assigned within the application).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

App Broker doesn't determine that.  All license-related activity happens within FNMS, based on the data passed from App Broker.  App Broker essentially sends 4 pieces of information: user, device, Flexera ID, and scope (global, enterprise groups only, enterprise groups first, then fall back to global).  When App Broker checks for availability, FNMS will look at the Flexera ID and determine which licenses are associated with that application.  The license priority assigned within FNMS (which may be "automatic" or user-defined) would then be used to determine which license to apply first, second, third, etc. until it finds one that meets the scope restrictions and has availability.  When a reservation is placed, it basically just puts that user/device into a "queue" that isn't necessarily tied to a specific license (it is tied to the application).  After the software gets installed on the device and inventoried, the consumption will be tied to a specific license during the reconciliation process in FNMS (again, based on the license priority assigned within the application).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".