cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Reports

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

We're looking at creating some custom reports for our customer. The administration guide doesn't have a lot on this concept. I understand that the RDLC file needs to get generated and then inserted into the adminstudio file. Is SSRS required on the DB server to create the RDLC file? Has anyone implemented custom reports effectively that have a process for this?

(1) Solution

This method is called "Legacy Reports".  While the documentation says this is only available for SCCM, only the report "linking" functionality is SCCM-specific.  Anyone can create/add these reports with or without SCCM if not using the "linking" function that is mentioned in the product documentation.  Once you've created the view in the DB, you still have to add the legacy report to the reporting page.  You do this under Admin > Report Management.  Once you've added a report to the reporting page, no site reset or anything special is needed.  Just click on the Reporting tab in the top navigation bar, and you should see the new report under the category you chose when adding the report.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

One of our consultants had done a training session a few years back on creating RDLC reports for App Portal.  I've forwarded this on to him to see if there is anything he can share.  Lately, I've just been using the legacy reports, since they are quick and easy to create (just create a view in the App Portal database starting with v_rep_xxxxxx).  However, I've noticed in the latest release that they don't work very well any more.  I think the security update for the Telerik controls that was introduced in 2020 R1 SP1 may have broken a few things in the UI.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thanks @jdempsey  Through the view creation method you mentioned are those accessible in the UI? Do you need to perform an ESDService or IISReset to see them?

This method is called "Legacy Reports".  While the documentation says this is only available for SCCM, only the report "linking" functionality is SCCM-specific.  Anyone can create/add these reports with or without SCCM if not using the "linking" function that is mentioned in the product documentation.  Once you've created the view in the DB, you still have to add the legacy report to the reporting page.  You do this under Admin > Report Management.  Once you've added a report to the reporting page, no site reset or anything special is needed.  Just click on the Reporting tab in the top navigation bar, and you should see the new report under the category you chose when adding the report.

This is great @jdempsey For now this will resolve our reporting requirements, but I would be interested in that info on the RDLC reports if you are able to get it since we plan to upgrade to 2020 R1 this year. (Currently on 2018 R1).

Another question: we are currently running SQL Server 2016 and the compatibility level is set to SQL Server 2008 level 100. For some of the reports I'm writing i need functions that are only available at level 120.  I checked the install guide and didnt see anything specifying a required compatibility level. I wanted to check with you before increasing it that this won't break functionality with the tool.

I don't recall having ever set a compatibility level for App Portal/Broker.  I've only seen that requirement for FNMS.

Also, to clarify regarding legacy reports in App Broker 2020 R1 SP1, the strange behaviors I've seen have to do with using the column filters (can only filter on one column at a time) and saving changes to the view (sort, filter, and column order get reset each time you reload the page).  The reports themselves run just fine and can be exported to CSV/Word/PDF.  I suspect this issue was introduced in SP1 because of the change to the Telerik controls, but I can't say that for certain, as I haven't gone back to an older release to verify.

Awesome, thanks for the info on this.

@jdempsey Did you ever hear back about the RDLC report creation process? My customer is most interested in knowing if we need SQL Server Reporting Services enabled. Any technical documentation on this process would be greatly appreciated.