cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we Integrate App Broker with serviceNow without using FNMS

Can we Integrate App Broker with ServiceNow without using FNMS Integration? if no then why and if yes then why?

(2) Solutions
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

FNMS is not required to integrate with ServiceNow.. It is only required if you want to check the license position when requesting software.. If you look at the workflow in ServiceNow, you will see that if the software is not licensable (the item is not tied to FNMS), then the workflow jumps immediately to Submit Order Script.. See the screen capture below, which shows the workflow.

SNWorkflow.png

View solution in original post

To respond to the "why" question, one of the key value propositions for App Broker is performing proactive license governance during the checkout process to reduce/eliminate risk of overuse (using more than what you're licensed for), but this function does require integration with FNMS.  If you don't have FNMS integrated to perform those license checks, you can still get value from App Broker beyond what you get from the native ServiceNow integration with SCCM.  Specifically, the native ServiceNow integration with SCCM considers a request "complete" when the request has been successfully handed off to SCCM.  In contrast, when using App Broker, ServiceNow will keep the request open while the deployment is being performed.  App Broker will monitor the success/failure of the deployment and update the ServiceNow request to reflect what actually happened with that deployment instead of assuming that all SCCM deployments will be successful.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

FNMS is not required to integrate with ServiceNow.. It is only required if you want to check the license position when requesting software.. If you look at the workflow in ServiceNow, you will see that if the software is not licensable (the item is not tied to FNMS), then the workflow jumps immediately to Submit Order Script.. See the screen capture below, which shows the workflow.

SNWorkflow.png

To respond to the "why" question, one of the key value propositions for App Broker is performing proactive license governance during the checkout process to reduce/eliminate risk of overuse (using more than what you're licensed for), but this function does require integration with FNMS.  If you don't have FNMS integrated to perform those license checks, you can still get value from App Broker beyond what you get from the native ServiceNow integration with SCCM.  Specifically, the native ServiceNow integration with SCCM considers a request "complete" when the request has been successfully handed off to SCCM.  In contrast, when using App Broker, ServiceNow will keep the request open while the deployment is being performed.  App Broker will monitor the success/failure of the deployment and update the ServiceNow request to reflect what actually happened with that deployment instead of assuming that all SCCM deployments will be successful.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".