cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Portal - Hide approver names

Hey everyone,

we are using approval groups with static users or AD groups for our catalog objects (software).
The members of the AD groups and the static users are then shown when checking out on the approval page.

Is there a possibility to hide those approver name as we dont want the requesters to know the approver names?
For example is there an option to just show the AD group and not the resolved group members?

Thanks in advance.

(1) Solution

While you may not be able to display the AD group names instead of the individual group members, you may be able to hide the group members if that helps. First, I would make sure your workflow is using Approval Groups that contain users/AD groups rather than directly referencing the users/AD groups in the workflow. This is a minor nuance, but it will make a difference in what gets displayed. To hide the list of Approval Group members while still showing the "Level"/Approval Group name in the checkout wizard, you can add the following to your custom.less file (in the App Portal\Content folder).

label.approverLevelResourceTitle {
  display: none;
}

Next, to hide the Approval Group members in the My Requests/Approvals page, you can add the following to your wdcssCustom.less file (also in the App Portal\Content folder).

#ctl00_cph1_ApprovalDesigner1_tvApprovalProcess > ul > li > ul {
}

Please note that neither of these is ideal, but may be useful if it meets your specific needs.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Unfortunately, this is not possible. I've had a number of App Broker users ask this over the years, and I can see where this behavior would be desirable. I might suggest creating a new "idea" for this. Perhaps then new functionality can be added to mask the list of approvers.

While you may not be able to display the AD group names instead of the individual group members, you may be able to hide the group members if that helps. First, I would make sure your workflow is using Approval Groups that contain users/AD groups rather than directly referencing the users/AD groups in the workflow. This is a minor nuance, but it will make a difference in what gets displayed. To hide the list of Approval Group members while still showing the "Level"/Approval Group name in the checkout wizard, you can add the following to your custom.less file (in the App Portal\Content folder).

label.approverLevelResourceTitle {
}

Next, to hide the Approval Group members in the My Requests/Approvals page, you can add the following to your wdcssCustom.less file (also in the App Portal\Content folder).

#ctl00_cph1_ApprovalDesigner1_tvApprovalProcess > ul > li > ul {
}

Please note that neither of these is ideal, but may be useful if it meets your specific needs.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

This definitely helps, thanks for that, I'll mark it as solution.
Unfortunately it still shows the "or" between each empty line where the approver normally is shown, but maybe I can fix this with another translation for it, something like <approver hiden>.

Just curious: is there a list for possible customizations via the .less files or the attributes you can customize with it? While it may not be ideal, it still seems to be the smoothest possibility to execute those customizations.

There aren't really "limits" on what you can customize through the custom style sheets, other than some practical limitations imposed by how the page is dynamically rendered within the application code (e.g. the fact that the workflow Approval Levels/Group Names and the word "or" in between each approver are assigned the same element type, ID, and class name makes it really hard to style one without impacting the other). However, it requires that you have a good understanding of CSS and selectors, and you want to be as specific as possible with the selectors you use to avoid unintended consequences in other areas of the UI (e.g. using too broad a selector on the workflow checkout page could also impact elements on the question checkout page, or even other elements on the same page that match the same selector). I personally like W3Schools as a reference (and this page in particular). Unfortunately, this topic is way too involved to go into a full tutorial here.

For this particular issue, if your workflow only has a single approval level in it, you may be able to use something like this to hide the "or"s (you would need to do something different if your workflows have multiple levels)...

label.approverLevelTitle:not(label.approverLevelTitle:first-of-type) {
}

If the extra white space in the table is a problem, you might be able to use something like this (though test thoroughly to ensure this doesn't impact other pages)...

#checkoutPage > form > div > div:nth-child(2) > div > table > tbody > tr:nth-child(3) > td:nth-child(2) > br {
}

Alright, sounds good, thank you very much!