cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice for Application Catalog and Shared Location

My company is transitioning from Wise Package Studio 8.0 to AdminStudio 11.5 SP2. We have two packagers in the same office in the U.S., and one packager overseas in India. Currently we're not using any sort of Wise functionality to manage our application catalog--instead, we create a directory in a Development area when working on a package, and then manually move everything to a Production area when we're done.

Looking for any advice/best practices/tips regarding how to set up the AdminStudio Shared Location and Application Catalog for our particular scenario.

Thanks.
(1) Reply
WindomEarle wrote:
My company is transitioning from Wise Package Studio 8.0 to AdminStudio 11.5 SP2. We have two packagers in the same office in the U.S., and one packager overseas in India. Currently we're not using any sort of Wise functionality to manage our application catalog--instead, we create a directory in a Development area when working on a package, and then manually move everything to a Production area when we're done.

Looking for any advice/best practices/tips regarding how to set up the AdminStudio Shared Location and Application Catalog for our particular scenario.

Set up the share and the catalog database where most of you packagers are and provide a machine (VM or physical, doesn't matter) at that same location for your remote packager to RDP to. Your performance will largely be dictated by the connection speed between your AdminStudio systems and the SQL server. You do not want to have a machine thousands of miles away trying to do gobs of SQL queries to the catalog...that would be really slow. The key for fast performance is having all of the machines running AdminStudio to be located very near the SQL server (and to have a fast connection to the SQL server, of course). If everything is running in vSphere, another common performance issue that I see is over-utilized VM shared disks, where even simple operations like opening Notepad or MS Paint take 20+ seconds because there isn't any disk access time available...obviously that has nothing to do with AdminStudio, but it's a situation that you should be aware of and avoid.