cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing to App Catalog

sanderson
By Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

I had a quick question. I have been getting ready to stand up an Application catalog database within admin studio and I was looking to use a Git repository, but after much research I am left with two quick questions.

1. Can I use Git as a repository for the application catalog or am I restricted to a local network share.
  2. Can I add a repository to the application catalog after it has been set up or does this happen only in the set up wizard?
(1) Solution

AdminStudio does not currently have specific support for Git repositories. The AdminStudio Application Catalog uses standard Windows file/folder structures and read/write access in order to import application packages into the Catalog and reference back to those package files.

While local file structures (e.g. C:\share) are supported and will work, with shared Application Catalog across multiple team members, it's recommended to store your working packages on a network share and import them from using UNC paths (e.g. \\file_share\packages) in order to maintain consistency and access across your AdminStudio IT Pro users.

If a Git or other kind of repository is used and the folder path to the package is fluid and changes over time as packages are checked in and out from this repository, then this will not operate consistently with the Application Catalog. This would require constant updating of the package's folder path each time it changes, which is not ideal. AdminStudio expects a constant path back to the packages, so the OS compatibility testing can be done as well as publishing these packages up to your distribution system by using the AdminStudio Distribution Wizard.

I would recommend you submit support for Git and/or repositories as an idea to our Flexera Feedback section of our Community. You can see other AdminStudio users' ideas and vote on which ideas are Nice-to-Have, Important, or Critical for you; conversely other users can vote for your ideas the same way.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

AdminStudio does not currently have specific support for Git repositories. The AdminStudio Application Catalog uses standard Windows file/folder structures and read/write access in order to import application packages into the Catalog and reference back to those package files.

While local file structures (e.g. C:\share) are supported and will work, with shared Application Catalog across multiple team members, it's recommended to store your working packages on a network share and import them from using UNC paths (e.g. \\file_share\packages) in order to maintain consistency and access across your AdminStudio IT Pro users.

If a Git or other kind of repository is used and the folder path to the package is fluid and changes over time as packages are checked in and out from this repository, then this will not operate consistently with the Application Catalog. This would require constant updating of the package's folder path each time it changes, which is not ideal. AdminStudio expects a constant path back to the packages, so the OS compatibility testing can be done as well as publishing these packages up to your distribution system by using the AdminStudio Distribution Wizard.

I would recommend you submit support for Git and/or repositories as an idea to our Flexera Feedback section of our Community. You can see other AdminStudio users' ideas and vote on which ideas are Nice-to-Have, Important, or Critical for you; conversely other users can vote for your ideas the same way.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!