Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem installation

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi,

Im trying to create a msi to install Cisco Mica modem. All that the driver contains is an inf file. I tried to do a recapture but that didnt work. Has someone been successful in doing something similar and could guide me?

Thankyou

Chris
(7) Replies
Chris,

I was researching this and noticed that you had originally asked about this 2 months ago. My apologies for not following up with you on this, I figured that you would have replied back sooner if repackaging hadn't worked.

Check out article Q102851 in our Knowledge Base, on using script to install an INF file. Please reply back if that doesn't work for you, I'd like to make sure you get past this issue.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. But how do I specify on what COM port the modem is functional and other parameters?

the Q article you sent me will certainly be helpful for my other projects.

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

Been checking through my Microsoft books and on the support.microsoft.com web site trying to see if I can find a way to configure a COM port programatically, not having much luck.

I found some references that suggest that you can add extra parameters to the RUNDLL32 command line, but I can't find anything specific showing how.

The other thought is that with Plug and Play technology, all you'd have to do is reboot and the modem would configure itself when the OS detects it. Of course, unless you just wanted default values for the baud rate and such, I don't know if that's a good solution or not.

I would suggest checking out the Microsoft support web site, or perhaps their support newsgroups, I'm sure someone up there would have specifics on how to do this.
I am also having trouble to install modem files. Following guidelines in http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;Q194941

doesn't work in NT4 srvpack 4 or higher in other languages than English.

Do you know other ways to install device drivers in W9x/WME/W2K/WXP that works with several languages?

Please read my questions at:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111003&highlight=modem

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111002

Best regards
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I havet been able to get a modem install using InstallShield. Right now Im using an AutoIT script that does the modem install. I kick-off the script from Install Script. I wish there were a way to do this using InstallShield.
Hello,
I am trying to install modem drivers as well, and I can't find any solution, but using AutoIT is giving me hope. I have downloaded v.2.64 of it, and I downloaded the sample modem script. I wanted to ask if it was possible for you to share some of your thoughts on how you automated the task.

Any info would be helpful. Thank you
In most case, it is hard to make repackage working for modem driver or printer driver as vendor's installation including some low level configuration. repackage process does not capture it completely. I agree that auto-it is a good option.