cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Upgrade does not install one component

Background: Major upgrade installs and removes previous version but does not install one component (dll, no advertisements).

Things tried:
- Install works as a new installation; component installed.
- Manually removed previous version & install works; component installed.
- Re-created the component GUID; failed.
- Re-named component; failed.
- Deleted & re-created component; failed.

Log file (file information):
MSI (s) (90:B4) [09:53:37:765]: Component: F4DISPLB.DLL; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Null

Any ideas? What does Action: Null mean?

Thank you! :confused: :confused:
(4) Replies
To upgrade component, the GUID for component should be same, but the file inside the component should have difference version number, do you have same version for the files?
Same situation different package.

Minor Upgrade works fine. User wants to change to a Major Upgrade and now one component does not install.

One component with one .ocx as the key

The log file...
Installed: Adsent; Request: Local; Action: Null

I have noticed that the file's version is now 2.01.0001 with the previous version's file being 3.0. Would this matter? The previous version is being uninstalled by the major upgrade.

Need help
Do u hav a solution already?
The version of the .ocx was updated to be of a greater version than what was on the previous version. This fixed the problem.

I do not know however is why the file was not installed in the first place. This is a major upgrade thus the previous version was uninstalled prior to installation. Does Windows Installer keep a versioning of files somewhere in the registry? If I uninstall the previous version manually and then installed this version...then all is well. It is only happening on a Major Upgrade.