cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installshield Basic MSI - File Types Extensions is not working

Hi,

I am using Installshield Basic MSI Project. Am trying to map a custom extension to our application. example, If i try to open the .rcp file after installation of my product, it should open with my application by default. I followed the below link but i dont find any proper solution. Please help me on this issue ASAP.

http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield16helplib/AddingExtensions.htm

Regards,
Shazif
(1) Reply
shazif wrote:
I am using Installshield Basic MSI Project. Am trying to map a custom extension to our application. example, If i try to open the .rcp file after installation of my product, it should open with my application by default. Please help me on this issue ASAP.

I think the easiest way is to go to the Project Assistant tab and use the Application Shortcuts view. Highlight the appropriate shortcut and mark the checkbox named Associate a file extension with the shortcut's target. (I am making the assumption that your app has a shortcut)
In the following screenshot I am setting three file extensions (.rcp, .abc and .xyz). If you are specifying more than one extension they need to be comma delimited. Also: do not include the dot before the file extension.

You can also create an extension from the Installation Designer tab, but it's not as straight forward as doing it from the Project Assistant tab. And before anyone asks: I don't know why we don't have a File Types view under System Configuration in the Installation Designer tab. Yes, I agree that it should totally show up there. With bells on.