cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INI Permissions setting within MSI

I have to repackaging an old COTS application for XP release.
This application places or updates an INI file within the Windows directory which is locked down for Users as part of the build.

I need to allow Users change permissions, using the MSI, to this file without opening up the Windows folder.

Normally I make the change through LockPermissions but it does not appear to work on Ini files.

The location of the INI file is hard coded in to the application.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks
(4) Replies
LockPermissions table works with files (File table), folders (CreateFolder table), and registry (Registry table). Files with INI extension typically use IniFile table, which provides finer control at file content manipulation. The workaround, in addition to using IniFile table, is to have a component containing a blank file that has the same filename, and goes to the same location as the INI file, and use LockPermissions table to set permissions on the blank file. If the file exists on target machine, you will have to make sure the file in the component will not overwrite the file on target machine based on File Versioning Rules.
A nice simple solution. Thanks.
Hi. I have exactly samekind of problem with old appilcation for Win7.

Unfortunedly the solution won't work for me. I don't know if I'm doing it right, I'm just beginner. Could someone explain what to do more specific.

I'm using Adminstudio 9.5 Standard edition.
Apparatus, you can always just create a custom action to cacl the ini. I know that the lockperm table has gotten better over the years but you can just change permissions on any file or files using cacls