cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Virtual Machines not showing up in AAC

Hi,

I´m currently evaluating Admin Studio 2014 (latest build on Windows Server 2012 R2) . Whenever I try to import VMs with the AAC Wizard it connects successfully to my lab hyper-v server (2012 R2 Standard), but the VM list is always empty.

Our hyper-v server hosts several Windows 8.1 guest VMs which were all prepped with the Guest Agent. Autologin and guest agent startup is working. I created a snapshot of each vm and named it AutoRepack_Base.

So far I disabled UAC and Windows Firewall on all lab systems including the hyper-v host. I can successfully connect to the hyper-v server from within the Admin Studio VM using hyper-v manager where all VMs are visible.

Do you have any clue why ACC won´t list the VMs after connecting to the hyper-v server ? I even tried to connect to other hyper-v systems

thank you
(12) Replies
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi,

Are you able to see the VMs, if you use HyperV Manager from any other machine and connect to the Hyper-V server? Please confirm this first.

Thanks!
Alpesh wrote:
Hi,

Are you able to see the VMs, if you use HyperV Manager from any other machine and connect to the Hyper-V server? Please confirm this first.

Thanks!

Yes, I can see the VMs in Hyper-V Manager from any other machine including the one where Admin Studio is installed.
Thank You
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi,

Sorry, I should have read your first post closely. You had already written that you are able to see the VMs from the server machine using HyperV manager.

So I just tested AAC from my main Win7 box, and connected to our HyperV server running Win2012 R2, and I was able to see all the VMs. Since you are running AS2014 on Win2012 R2 Server, can you try installing it on a client OS like Win7, and then check if you get any success?

Thanks!
Hi,

just set up a Windows 7 Enterprise VM (x86) with a fresh install of Admin Studio 2014.
Now I can´t even create a new Application Catalog. VMs are still not visible either.

Is there a logfile or troubleshooting tool for further diagnosis ?

thank you
best regards
Ok,

tried again with a fresh install on a new Windows 7 64 bit VM and SQL Express 2012 64 bit. Can not create a new application catalog and VMs still don´t show up.
Also the Create a new Application Catalog Wizard is running in a loop. I have to enter all settings twice and the next button does not work anymore (not greyed out but not responding to clicks).

Maybe I´ve got a corrupted installer package from the evaluation download page, so I´m going to download a fresh one and start all over from scratch.

Do you have any more suggestions ?
rcnmike wrote:

just set up a Windows 7 Enterprise VM (x86) with a fresh install of Admin Studio 2014.
Now I can´t even create a new Application Catalog. VMs are still not visible either.

Make sure that your Windows 7 machine has SP1 installed. You can't create the Application Catalog without it.

You can create a debug log file by setting a registry value.
Registry Key:
HKLM\Software\InstallShield\AdminStudio\

Registry value name:
DebugLogLevel

Registry data value:

Registry value type:
String

The following URL provides more information about setting the DebugLogLevel:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/adminstudio2014/adminstudio_CSH.htm#ashelplibrary/ASIDETaskDebugLog.htm
helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/adminstudio2014/adminstudio_CSH.htm#ashelplibrary/ASIDETaskDebugLog.htm
Hello,

I got the same Problem. I'm able to connect from the AAC to the Hyper-V-Server but there are no machines listed. I did the tests with:
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise with AdminStudio 2013 SP1 and Hyper-V on the same machine
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with AdminStudio 2014 Evaluation and Hyper-V on the same machine and
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise with AdminStudio 2013 SP1 and Hyper-V on another Win 8.1 Enterprise

At this time I'm testing the first Scenario. I also did the modifications with are neccassary when Hyper-V and AdminStudio are used on different machines, even when they are installed on the same machine.

Kind regards,

Dirk
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi,

Are you using the Hyper-V server administrator credentials, when connecting from AAC? If not, can you try the same, and check the results?

Thanks!
Hi,
I just checked it when AdminStudio and Hyper-V Server are installed on the same machine. The machine is not in a domain. And I used a local admin account which is also member of the Hyper-V Administrator group. But the behaviour is the same. I'm able to connect to the Hyper-V Server (same Machine) but I don't see any virtual machines in the list of AAC.

BTW I also tried with a wrong servername or credentials. There I got an error which says AAC is not able to connect to the Hyper-V Server. That's what I have expected.

Dirk
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi Dirk,

Can you run the attached vbs file on the Hyper-V server, and then check the C:\Test folder? There should be a txt file, with all of your Hyper-V VMs. If the files does not have the hyper-V VMs listed, then it may be permission issue. Make sure that you log on to the Hyper-V server with the same user credentials, that you use in AAC to connect to the hyperV server.

Thanks!
Hi,

I don't think of a permission issue, because Hyper-V and AdminStudio with AAC are installed on the same Computer. It is a Windows 8.1 Machine.
I launched the script on this machine, the vmlist.txt is attached. But in addition I have to say that the Machine where I launched the script is a VHD-Boot. And this machine (SD-L512-02) is also listed in the txt-file. The machine I want to do the repackaging on is the Hyper-V called Work.

Thanks,

Dirk
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi Dirk,

I tested this yesterday on my Win 8.1 x64 laptop running Hyper-V and AS 2014 Evaluation copy. And I was able to see all the VMs when I tried to import the VM in AAC. So the thing for you to check what is the version of AS, you are using? This was a known issue with AS 2013/AS 2013 R2 I believe,

Hope this helps.

Thanks!