cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create an uninstall?

I'm pretty new to creating install pkgs. I've successfully created an install using the repackaging wizard, and it does put an uninstall applet in the Add/Remove Programs area, which works.

However, I would like to uninstall the app without using the uninstall applet. I would like to uninstall using a different package. How do I do this?
(4) Replies
Hi,

I assume that the requirement entails using some sort of remote distribution system, and thus will not involve running the user interface.

That said, this limits your options to using a Major Upgrade to accomplish this. You'd basically add a Major Upgrade item in a new project and set it up to remove the other package. To avoid registering the new package on the system, you could just condition out the actions at the end of the Execute sequence that begin with 'Register' or 'Publish'.

But, I suspect there may a better way of handling this with your environment. What method are you using to distribute the installation?
Sorry, I forgot to make mention of that detail. You are correct, it will be distributed via remote software distribution tool (Altiris).

The installation package was not thoroughly tested and caused a problem with another app. The bad part is that it was pushed out to several machines without us knowing this. Now we need to uninstall from the masses.

So I would like to create strictly an uninstall package.
Have you tried 'msiexec /x package.msi'?

I'm no expert but this works fro me to remove packaged that I have build and distributed with SMS.

--Patrick
pbrown wrote:
Have you tried 'msiexec /x package.msi'?

I'm no expert but this works fro me to remove packaged that I have build and distributed with SMS.

--Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Windows Installer grabs a mutex during the execute sequence, so this really only seems to work well during the UI sequence. Out of curiosity, where you schedule the action that calls msiexec.exe?