cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AlwaysInstallElevated Not Working

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I’m trying to install an MSI file on a lockdown W2K SOE image that displays “You must have Administrator rights to install this application” error message, even with both HKLM and HKCU ‘AlwaysInstallElevated’ registry keys set to ‘1’. Note: It does install if I make the user a member of the local admin group.

How can I install this app as a normal user ?

PS: I’m not sure if this makes any difference, but this app requires Sscript8.MSI to be installed as a prerequisite.
(2) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Is Windows Installer Service running... and if it is running, is it running as a System acct and allowed to Interact with the Desktop ?

That's what determines admin rights to install an app...
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you for the reply 🙂

I actually resolved the problem by changing the MSI ‘Install Condition’ field property from ‘AdminUser’ to ‘Privileged’ within the ‘General Information\Product Properties’ option.

If this didn’t work, I was going to change the ‘Custom Action’ that caused the error message from ‘Immediate Execution’ to ‘Defferred’ (ie. to allow the custom action to make system changes under the user’s context). Would this have been ‘MSI Best Practice’ ?

Note: I determined the culprit custom action by inspecting the MSI log file which was created by running ‘Msiexec /I file_name.msi /l c:\temp\1.txt’