cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a simple OOTB report to show duplicate inventory devices?

Hello,

We are migrating VMs from on-premises to the cloud. After each VM is migrated we are obviously left with the record of the old on-premises VM in Flexera, which we need to remove. Is there a simple report that I can use to help with this that allows mass deletion of old inventory devices in one go?

Thanks

(4) Replies

@RWG2022 

How would the devices be different, i.e., how would you be able to tell one device is a duplicate with another? (Same name but different serial number, or...)

Anyway, the standard views/reports may be insufficient depending on the details, but if you search for "issue" in the Flexera One UI you will find them.

Thanks,

Hi, exactly that. Same name but different serial number. Also the hosted-in field helps as the migrated VMs will show hosted-in as Microsoft Azure whereas the on-premises ones will shows as on-premises. I've looked at the "issue" report you mentioned and this doesn't help, so is there a way I can do what I'm trying to do and delete old records at large or am I going to have to do this manually one by one?

Thanks

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I can't think of any built-in reporting which would directly identify where an inventory device name is not unique.

In relation to deleting old devices, the simplest approach would be to wait for the old devices to get obsoleted and deleted after what ever period of time you have configured to delete stale computer records from your inventory source (assuming that you do in fact have some such configuration in place).

In the meantime, if you have a list of [unique] serial numbers of old devices, you could use a business adapter to set the status of the devices to "Ignored" (or if the are linked to assets, set the status of the linked assets to "Retired").

Manually deleting records would be possible too, but likely tedious if you are dealing with a large number.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi @RWG2022  There is no OOTB report that identifies duplicate names.  Only reports that identify duplicate SN's.

As you are migrating to cloud and will have new serial numbers.  The best would to mark the device names with SN starting "VMWare..." as ignored using a business importer.  If the only agent for both is FNMS, then you should see the old agents aging fairly soon, which also helps identification.