cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

log4j-core-2.7.jar on cognos server

Hi Community,

On our cognos server, I tried to remove the file JndiLookup.class from log4j-core-2.7.jar under path C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\cognosserver\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\113\0\.cp\
I needed to end Java Platform SE Binary process otherwise I received the notification: Access denied the file is in use by Java Platform SE Binary.
When I ended Java process I finally was able to to remove the file JndiLookup.class from log4j-core-2.7.jar but when it was done in several seconds Java Platform SE Binary started by itself and updated log4j-core-2.7.jar having JndiLookup.class again inside. I repeated the same action several time and still Java updated the log back to JndiLookup.class included.

Do you know maybe how to get rid of JndiLookup.class out from log4j-core-2.7.jar under path C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\cognosserver\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\113\0\.cp\?

(1) Solution

In my case the below resolved the issue:

-Open the Cognos configuration application cogconfigw.exe (<DIRECOTRY>\Flexera\IBM\analytics\bin64)
-Stop the services using the configurator and not through Windows Services
-Once stopped, please open the 'log4j-core-2.7.jar' file using a compression tool (7z or WINRAR) and remove the class file and then save the changes
-Close the window and then re-open the 'log4j-core-2.7.jar' file to confirm the class file has been deleted
-Once confirmed, start the services through the Cognos configurator
-Once the services have started back up, verify the class file has not been returned

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I've heard of a couple of other people having trouble with removing the class from the .jar file like you have described, but then when they try doing it again with other people watching it has always "mysteriously" worked! 🙂

I wonder if you will have any more luck if you shut down the Cognos Windows service entirely (rather than just killing the Java process) before attempting to make the change.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

In my case the below resolved the issue:

-Open the Cognos configuration application cogconfigw.exe (<DIRECOTRY>\Flexera\IBM\analytics\bin64)
-Stop the services using the configurator and not through Windows Services
-Once stopped, please open the 'log4j-core-2.7.jar' file using a compression tool (7z or WINRAR) and remove the class file and then save the changes
-Close the window and then re-open the 'log4j-core-2.7.jar' file to confirm the class file has been deleted
-Once confirmed, start the services through the Cognos configurator
-Once the services have started back up, verify the class file has not been returned

Nice! Thanks for sharing what you learnt - that's really helpful.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)