cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What criteria is required for a FNMS Agent to successfully identify/create a device

Hi Forums

What criteria is required for a FNMS Agent to successfully identify/create a device?

regards

(1) Solution

Am I right that you are able to run a Flexera Agent and collect inventory data on your device(s), but you are interested how FNMS makes the decision if the inventory is used for creating a new device, or for updating a device that already exists in the database?

This decision is not made by the agent. The decision is made during the import of the raw inventory data collected by the agents - and stored in the [FNMSInventory] database - into the [FNMSCompliance] database.

There are multiple Matching rules using Inventory properties retrieved by an agent including the serial number, manufacturer and model of the device. Properties used for matching inventories depend on the inventory device type (physical computer, virtual machine ..). Rules are processed sequentially.

The best documentation on the matching process - including matching rules - can be found in the FNMS online help in the chapter on the 'Inventory Device Matching' view that is available in the FNMS UI.

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The key criteria for using the FlexNet inventory agent is that the operating system that is running on the computer is supported. A list of operating systems supported by the latest agent version can be found here: Prerequisite Software.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Am I right that you are able to run a Flexera Agent and collect inventory data on your device(s), but you are interested how FNMS makes the decision if the inventory is used for creating a new device, or for updating a device that already exists in the database?

This decision is not made by the agent. The decision is made during the import of the raw inventory data collected by the agents - and stored in the [FNMSInventory] database - into the [FNMSCompliance] database.

There are multiple Matching rules using Inventory properties retrieved by an agent including the serial number, manufacturer and model of the device. Properties used for matching inventories depend on the inventory device type (physical computer, virtual machine ..). Rules are processed sequentially.

The best documentation on the matching process - including matching rules - can be found in the FNMS online help in the chapter on the 'Inventory Device Matching' view that is available in the FNMS UI.