cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vcenter (CDE) not able to collect virtual inventory - 'Service not found on the device error'

Hi Dear Community,

I have three CDE vcenters that are not collecting virtual inventory and the error message on the log I can see is "Service not found on the device"

Any help in this regard will be helpful.

Thank you

Abhilash M

(7) Replies

If you are using the free version ESXi hypervisor, it does not include the SDK that we connect with to extract vCenter Inventory.  In this case, it is not possible for FNMS to capture remote inventory.

I did check with the internal team, the ESXi Hypervisor is not a free version.

What version of vCenter and ESX is installed?

A "Service not found on the device" type message in the discovery log will typically indicate that the beacon was unable to ping and/or was unable to connect to port 443 on the vCenter server and find a VMware web API running there.

Some initial troubleshooting steps would be to execute PowerShell commands like the following on your beacon to test connectivity:

PS C:\> Test-NetConnection vcenter01.acme.com
PS C:\> Test-NetConnection vcenter01.acme.com -Port 443
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I wasn't able to get a TCP test successful message, rather

Warning: TCP connect to <vcenter fqdn>: 443 failed

Hi,

If you receive this error:

Warning: TCP connect to <vcenter fqdn>: 443 failed

Is because your port is close from the beacon to vCenter on port 443, you should check with the networking team to open the firewall.

Other way to test the connection is to open the mob page from vCenter https://<vCenter FQDN>/mob

If you receive an authentication window, you can test your credential for the service account which you will use for auditing.  

Also you can check with the vCenter team to see if the vCenter is not installed on port 80 (http), I never see that on my customer, but you never know.

Version : 6.7U2 

ESX version : Confirming with the APM