cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Values for drop-down list custom property

Hi,

I have a question regarding Custom Properties in FNMS.

When you create drop-down list custom property (UIFieldTypeID = 😎 is it possible to define dynamic query to return selectable values? Or it is only possible to store static list of values?

The only documented way I could find was static list, explained in System Reference PDF. But if I look at [dbo].[UIItem_MT] table I can see that available fields might support more complex solution, as I can see FromTable, SelectName, WhereClause columns, just not sure what the purpose of those?

Marius

(7) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Custom drop down list properties only support a static list of values.

If you wanted to have a dynamic list of values where the list doesn't change too often and you are using FlexNet Manager Suite On-premises (not Cloud), then you could possibly look at putting some regular process in place to update the static list that is configured in the database. However it would be important to ensure that once a value is added to the list it is never removed - if a value in the list is used on a record but subsequently removed then things could get messy.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Chris,

I found this topic, because I was actually look for what you suggested.

How can I identify the static list where values from custom drop down are listed? And then update it.

It would actually make sense for me to never change that list so it could potentially be very useful for the client.

Kind regards,

Jan

The static list of values available for a drop-down list custom property is specified in the @DataSource parameter value when calling the AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage stored procedure to configure the custom property. For example:

EXEC dbo.AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage
        @TargetTypeID = 9, /* asset */
        @ExcludeTargetSubTypeIDs = '',
        @Name = 'CustomAssetEnvironment',
        @DisplayNameInPage = 'Asset Environment:',
        @DisplayNameInReport = 'Asset Environment',
        @UIFieldTypeID = 8, /* drop-down list */
        @DataSource = ',Production,Testing,Training'

To see the list of values configured for a property that is already defined, the easiest approach is probably to open a record of the appropriate type in the UI and look at the values that are shown to the end user in the drop-down list.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi,

you can find values in FNMS compliance table UIItem_MT. Check DataSource column.

Marius

Hi Marius,
If I would like to add a new value to the drop down then I can just edit XML from DataSource column?
I think you can change the XML in the DataSource column of the UIItem table (view) if you are careful.

However the UIItem table is not one that I would normally recommend changing directly except in extreme situations. Do so at your own risk. It would be better form and style to make a change like this by re-executing the AddPropertyToWebUIPropertiesPage stored procedure to re-configure the custom property, specifying the new set of values you want for the drop-down list in the @DataSource parameter. This does depend on you having a copy of the SQL script that was used to configure the custom property in the first place, which hopefully you have as part of the configuration details associated with your installation.
I've tested running stored procedure and it works just as I wanted 🙂
New values were added to the drop down menu and records where we used previously existing values remain unchanged.
Thank you!