cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathy_allen
Active participant

Under-Consumed Licenses

Does anyone know how FNMS calculates the dollar amount assigned to Under-Consumed Licenses in FNMS dashboard?  The dashboard shows a number of licenses and associated dollar amount but I can't see the dollar amount per license to see which license is causing the highest dollar amount.  We recently had a very high jump in $$ and I'm thinking it was related to a specific license but cannot tell how to find it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Moderator tbesse Moderator

Re: Under-Consumed Licenses

Hi Kathy,

The cost value is taken from the existing licenses at risk. If you have a look at the purchase tab, the unit price is either taken from your latest purchase or the override value. 

What you see in the Management Dashboard is the accumulated value across all publishers and their licenses at risk. If you want to see the risk values per license, simply use the data card and drill down to the publisher level, then product areas at risk, finally the licenses themselves.

Btw, FlexNet Manager can work across multiple currencies incl. exchange rates.

Best regards
Thorsten

Principal Solution Engineer
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
kathy_allen
Active participant

I'm not sure how to drill down from the data card on the dashboard to actually give dollar values. I can select the under consumed dashboard card and filter on publisher, product, etc but don't get to a dollar value per license.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MurrayPeters
Intrepid explorer

Hi Kathy

The Management Dashboard shows the global amounts across all data in FNMS but clicking on the Dashboard Card/Tile should drill down to the next level which is the Publisher Summary which should clarify which Publishers are contributing most $ to the global amount.  If you then click on a single Publisher card it should go down to the Product level  (showing which Products contribute the most etc) then click on a Product to see the list of Licenses and their amounts contributed.

In terms of the calculation FNMS essentially uses the data from a license that you can see on the "Purchases" tab of a license.  At the top there is an Override unit price and if this has a value then it is multiplied with the #licenses available.      If the Override Unit Price is empty FNMS falls back to looking at historical purchases and will choose the most recent line item where new entitlements had a cost amount (i.e. Software - not maintenance or upgrades etc).

Murray

Community Manager ChrisG Community Manager
Community Manager

The License Compliance > Product Summary and License Compliance > License Summary menu options will also get you to the same places as you get to from drilling down through the dashboard tile. Here is a sample of what these grids show (with somewhat artificial numbers!) - one shows a product-focused view, while the other shows a license-focused view:

image.png

image.png

One situation I've seen causing a massive "under purchased" value being calculated is when a total purchase price is entered in to the "Unit price" field on a purchase record. This can result in FlexNet thinking that each individual license you need to purchase to true-up for a bit of software has a massive price tag attached.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)