cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The connection timed out (A task was canceled.) for downloading item 'object-model-xml'

Hi All,

we have a tenant with a daily SCCM import on the beacon server, but it's not working every day. I had checked the log files and fould these information:

20:00:14,742 [INFO ] Downloading item 'object-model-xml' using URI 'http://BATCH-SRV/inventory-beacons/api/download/object-model-xml?tenantUid=ABCDEF1234567890&schemaVersion=1.0'.
20:00:59,755 [FATAL] The import process has failed with the following error (use -verbose to see error details):
Error: Download failed for item http://BATCH-SRV/inventory-beacons/api/download/object-model-xml?tenantUid=ABCDEF1234567890&schemaVersion=1.0(The connection timed out (A task was canceled.))
The connection timed out (A task was canceled.)
A task was canceled.
20:00:59,755 [INFO ] Time: 03 January 2020 20:00:59
20:00:59,755 [INFO ] Total import time: 48 seconds
20:00:59,755 [INFO ] 0 source data warnings
20:00:59,755 [INFO ] 0 errors, 0 warnings
20:00:59,755 [INFO ] 1 fatal errors. Imports may be incomplete or failed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I used this command: 11:16:59,441 [INFO ] Running Compliance import command line: '-s SCCM_DataImport -v'.

11:17:02,732 [INFO ] Downloading item 'object-model-xml' using URI 'http://BATCH-SRV/inventory-beacons/api/download/object-model-xml?tenantUid=ABCDEF1234567890&schemaVersion=1.0'.
11:17:47,738 [FATAL] The import process has failed with the following error (use -verbose to see error details):
Error: Download failed for item http://BATCH-SRV/inventory-beacons/api/download/object-model-xml?tenantUid=ABCDEF1234567890&schemaVersion=1.0 (The connection timed out (A task was canceled.))
The connection timed out (A task was canceled.)
A task was canceled.
11:17:47,738 [DEBUG] Error Details:
Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Core.ComplianceApiFatalException
at Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Download.DownloadClient.DownloadItem(String itemName, String etagValue, Boolean ignoreNotFound, Dictionary`2 queryList)
at Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Download.PackageDownloader.DownloadResourceToFile(String resourceId, String outputFilePath, Boolean ignoreNotFound, Dictionary`2 queryList, String etagValue)
at Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Download.PackageDownloader.DownloadObjectAdapterXml(String configPath, Version schemaVersion)
at ManageSoft.Compliance.Importer.Logic.ExternalInventory.DownloadXml()
at ManageSoft.Compliance.Importer.Logic.ComplianceImporter.RunImport()
11:17:47,738 [INFO ] Time: 06 January 2020 11:17:47
11:17:47,754 [INFO ] Total import time: 48 seconds
11:17:47,754 [INFO ] 0 source data warnings
11:17:47,754 [INFO ] 0 errors, 0 warnings
11:17:47,754 [INFO ] 1 fatal errors. Imports may be incomplete or failed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The log files e.g. importer-[1234].log are in the folder: C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\ComplianceReader
Where can I check or change the connection timed-out value?

Best regards

(4) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't know of any setting to change the timeout, but even if there was such a setting I'd be a little surprised if it helped - I expect that waiting longer would be unlikely to address the underlying problem that is causing this connection to not work.

If you haven't done so already, you could perform some basic network connectivity tests from the beacon to port 80 on BATCH-SVR to check for any problems here. For example, do a telnet or use the web browser on the beacon to browse to the URL http://BATCH-SRV/inventory-beacons/api/download/object-model-xml?tenantUid=ABCDEF1234567890&schemaVersion=1.0.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG 
The log file of the beacon shows a try of a download every 30 minutes:
2020-01-08 00:14:38,320 [ownload.DownloadClient|inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Downloading item 'object-model-xml' using URI
2020-01-08 00:44:26,060 [ownload.DownloadClient|inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Downloading item 'object-model-xml' using URI
2020-01-08 01:14:25,533 [ownload.DownloadClient|inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Downloading item 'object-model-xml' using URI
2020-01-08 01:44:25,191 [ownload.DownloadClient|inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Downloading item 'object-model-xml' using URI

Sometimes the download works:
2020-01-08 02:14:55,560 [Core.HttpClientBase |inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Server returned new content for download request
2020-01-08 04:45:11,120 [Core.HttpClientBase |inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Server returned new content for download request
2020-01-08 06:14:33,112 [Core.HttpClientBase |inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Server returned new content for download request
2020-01-08 06:44:36,393 [Core.HttpClientBase |inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Server returned new content for download request
2020-01-08 07:14:41,007 [Core.HttpClientBase |inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Server returned new content for download request
2020-01-08 08:14:54,644 [Core.HttpClientBase |inventory_adapters] [INFO ] Server returned new content for download request

But most the time the download failed:
Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Core.ComplianceApiFatalException: Download failed for item

Perhaps I should start the task in the morning.

Hi,

I have changed the setting of the import. Now it starts at 3 a.m.
That was working for the last 3 days. I will have a look to it for the next days.

But for me there is also another point. When the import failed with
'The connection timed out (A task was canceled.)' the "System tasks" shows
not the task as failed, because it shows noting about this import.

There is only the last import with the status 'Completed'.

The download of those XMLs including policy on the beacon won't show up in System Tasks, which would explain why you're not seeing anything.

System Tasks will show whether the inventory import / business import etc succeeded but not maintenance type activities such as policy downloads.

Assuming the beacon is uploading successfully during the "Upload flexera logs and inventories" task in task scheduler then one indicator of this sort of issue would be that the beacon shows an alert of it's policy being out of date but that is only if it continues to fail.

If it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't throughout the day then it likely would just appear as being all working there as well.

Likely your best option is to use the Activity log and select an Activity of "Policy download" to see if it's failing or not but again this is all dependent on uploads working, specifically the .bstat files.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.