cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Windows task to run 'ndtrack.exe' on local device, instead of remote execution (zero footprint)

We are using Remote Execution (Zero footprint) to inventory, scheduled to run certain days of the week.

On few handful devices, Admin would like to know if it possible to run the command to collect the inventory through a batch file or through Windows task Scheduler (as these devices are running special processes and cannot be interrupted during that time).

Basically having control to be able to run  (ndtrack.exe) if/when needed on local devices.

What are the files and steps needed to accomplish this (assuming it is possible)?

Thanks

(1) Solution

Yes, this is something that you could do. I would suggest looking into the InventoryScanner as an option if you were using a rule to inventory this before with 0 foot print. You could also install an agent, and remove the INSTALLMACHINEPOLICY = 1 from the setup response. This will cause the agent to be installed, but it will do nothing. This could then be run from a scheduled task. For command line options and more details on the InventoryScanner I would reference the Gathering Inventory guide: 
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/Cloud/GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Yes, this is something that you could do. I would suggest looking into the InventoryScanner as an option if you were using a rule to inventory this before with 0 foot print. You could also install an agent, and remove the INSTALLMACHINEPOLICY = 1 from the setup response. This will cause the agent to be installed, but it will do nothing. This could then be run from a scheduled task. For command line options and more details on the InventoryScanner I would reference the Gathering Inventory guide: 
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/PDF%20Documents/Cloud/GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf

Inventory Scanner is new to us, have installed  agents on few but it runs automatically (INSTALLMACHINEPOLICY = 1 is enabled), need to find out how to schedule it (looking at the Flexera guide)

Any obvious pros and cons for going with either of the options (Inventory Scanner / Agent)?

If you are referring to scheduling the InventoryScanner, this would just be something that you should be able to do through a scheduled task (if we are talking Windows). The main advantage of the InventoryScanner is that it is a single executable, so there is not much to track or manage with it compared to the full agent install. I would suggest just doing some simple tests on a test VM, to see which would work better for your use.