cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Assigned File Evidences

We have a product, where the Assigned File evidence is "Required".  However, it is an exe file, and our product is deployed on non-windows. What this means is that since the "Required" file evidence is exe, it is not present on my system, and hence the count of applications identified is coming back as 0.  I would like to change this "Required" to "At least one", but unable to do so.  Let me know what could be the right way, other than reaching out to Flexera. 

(1) Solution
Having two separate applications does not imply that you would have to have two licenses: the intention is that you would link your one license to multiple applications where the exact same license terms and details cover the different application records that are configured. A pattern of having separate application records for different operating systems would not be unusual or inappropriate either. That is a valid technique for handling situations where combining recognition rules for all operating systems into one application is impractical or non-optimal for some reason.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(8) Replies

You can update the recognition rule for file evidence by using the steps below. 

1. Open the application in FNMS 
2. Navigate to the Evidence tab
3. Select the File Evidence section 
4. Select the hyperlinked name of the evidence (blue name), to open the File evidence that you would like to modify
5. Select the Application tab, on the File Evidence Properties page 
6. From here you can modify the recognition rule for this evidence for each application that the evidence is linked to

As a note, you can skip steps 1-4 if you already have the File Evidence Properties page open for the file evidence that you want to modify

I am only human; anything said is my view or from my own experience and not necessarily that of Flexera.
If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
We ran into this same issue with one of our apps. I tried the steps above and after I save the change reverts back. The file evidence is added by Flexera not local. should the steps above work?

Same here.  I am able to change from "required" to "at least one", but when i save it, it doesn't save.    For one case, I had somehow changed it to local, and that is working fine now, but this one isn't. 

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
To handle this case without having Flexera make an update to the ARL, I would suggest creating another title for the non-Windows installations in your environment and link the appropriate file evidence that occurs on non-Windows computers to that title. In other words, use a pattern of having separate titles for installations on Windows vs non-Windows computers.

I'm sure the Flexera Content team would be interested to hear details of the particular application that you're looking at here and your approach to handling it in case your insights help to improve the ARL for others.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi @ChrisG 

I do not think  having an exe file as a required evidence for software that can also be deployed on non-windows is logical. I have tried a number of options, but it is not working. I do not want to create a different license.  That would be incorrect. I believe Flexera needs to update the ARL for any products which can be deployed on multiple enviroments.

Having two separate applications does not imply that you would have to have two licenses: the intention is that you would link your one license to multiple applications where the exact same license terms and details cover the different application records that are configured. A pattern of having separate application records for different operating systems would not be unusual or inappropriate either. That is a valid technique for handling situations where combining recognition rules for all operating systems into one application is impractical or non-optimal for some reason.

Thanks.   That sounds like an acceptable way around. I would have preferred if there was a way to convert the evidence from Required to optional.   but this would work as a way around. 

If you set the Required evidence to Ignored, that should resolve your issue.