cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record flow for Ignored Inventory moved to Archived Inventory views

After we upgraded from a 2018 release to 2019 R2, the new IBM features of holding Ignored Inventory records in Archived Inventory view for a specified period really threw us off, and complicated our reporting to our customer.

As a related question, what is the future lifecycle state of those records?  Will they exit Archived status at the end of the designated period and then flow back into Ignored status, or will they disappear entirely?

Thanks, David Mathias

NTT DATA Services

(10) Replies

Archive inventory device only applies when IBM PVU compliance calculation is enabled, If device is linked to IBM PVU (due to installed software, allocation etc) when deleted it will be archived, if archived device reported again by inventory source it will become active again. for more details please check online help (Suite/Help/webhelp/index.html#topics/Dev-Archived_Inventory.html).

By default historical inventory data is retained for 180 days (configurable options under Licensing tab > IBM PVU sub-capacity calculation settings) after that those devices will be automatically removed, for more details please check online help Suite/Help/webhelp/index.html#topics/System_Settings-Licensing_Tab.html

Thanks,

Aamer

Hi Aamer,

Thank you for responding.  Your answer reviewed what we knew and understood.  The Archived Inventory view applies to a particular class or category of servers.  We understand that 180 days is the default.  However, what you mean when you say the records are "removed" at the end of that time is unclear.  Where do they go when they are removed?

Context:

1) We retain all our Ignored inventory - period.  We have over 1,400 records in our Ignored Inventory node.  I can turn to any of those records and see what applications were installed when they were Ignored.

2) These servers run more than just IBM PVU applications.  If the inventory records are deleted at the end of those 180 days, then I'm concerned about losing visibility to history for other licensed applications.

Thanks, David

Devices only end up with a status of Archived if they are deleted but are related to a PVU license (https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Dev-Archived_Inventory.html). Instead of being deleted right away, like non PVU devices, they move to a status of Archived and are retained as long as they apply to your Historical PVU settings (https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2019R2/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/System_Settings-Licensing_Tab.html).

If you wish to maintain the history records of the device, please change the status to Ignored instead of deleting the device.

This is a very curious exchange as we do not delete *any* record as a best practice.  We only mark the inventory records as "Ignored".  So, again, the reply provided is not yet addressing our questions.

This forum post resulted in the creation of a case.  I have reopened the closed case and hope it will be worked by Flexera Support.

My recommendation is that Flexera recreate these circumstances in a virtual instance.  Then they should advance the system clock within the VM by 180+ days and report what happens to the Ignored records that the Archived status hijacked for IBMs purposes.

Thank you,

David

@dmathias - Inventory devices will only be moved to a status of "Archived", if someone had previously went into the Active Inventory, All Inventory or Ignored Inventory, selected the check boxes on some devices and then clicked on the DELETE button.  Any of these devices that were being consumed against a PVU license would not be physically deleted out of the database, they would be set to "Archived" so that they would still be counted by the PVU license for Peak PVU Consumption.  Any of the selected devices that are not linked/consumed against a PVU are deleted.

Devices that were changed to a status of "Ignored" would never be changed to "Archived".  It would remain as a status of "Ignored" until someone DELETES it.

Perhaps we could set up a call to do some screen sharing?  We never delete inventory records and we can show you that movement of the records to Archived status occurs when the inventories have their links removed from the asset and marked as Ignored.

Thanks, David

This would not be expected behavior as only the DELETE button should put a device into "Archived" status.

Have you reported a Support Case?

Have you looked at the History tab of an Archived device to look at the timing of the change in status and the User Account linked to this change?

Hi again, there was a case opened but it was closed and is no longer visible in the Portal.

We currently have 17 records in archived inventory mode.  I am sharing them with Kelsey and Greg and will open a new case.

There may be a nuance here worth picking up on that would make both of us right: all 17 records were for server inventories on physical devices.  For physical devices, our decom process is 1) mark the asset record as retired, 2) mark the inventory record as ignored (if not done so automatically when marking the asset as retired), 3) unlink the ignored inventory record from the asset.

I'm thinking that #3 may be where you're assuming we're deleting, but we are not.  But we always unlink.

David

I found it. The existing case is Case Number: 02170926.

Just an update that, after further review by Flexera Support, the behavior I have reported is not expected.  Another customer has reported similar questions and concerns and the issue is being investigated further.  Many thanks to all.