cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB User Clean-up for NUP counts

Hi members.

I am trying to better understand the options available to a customer to manage the NUP counts as detected by the LMS scripts and depicted on FNMS.

Scenario:

Customer restores and sanatizes a production ODBEE instance to Dev/Test.  When restored, the instance has a crazy NUP count, say 40000.  Where in production this was on a server licensed by Processor, in Dev/Test, we want to license the NUPs.

Options:

1. The DBA's can run a drop user script to remove redundant users from the DB Instance.  
  2. In FNMS, we have 2 options.
    1. We can remove the users
      • I do not like this option as it is executed per instance.  Further it would result in data shown by FNMS that is not the same as the LMS output, as these deletions on FNMS will not be written back to the actual DB instance
    2. We can set the "quantity" against each user on each instance to 0 to reduce the actual license consumption per instance.  
      • This is probably the best option, and can be owned by FNMS Operators.
      • The shortcoming here is again that it must be executed per user per DB instance.

Questions:

• Are there other options that I am not aware of?  For the DBA and for the FNMS operator?
  • Are there mechanisms already existing to facilitate the bulk execution of the FNMS operator options?  For cloud and on premise customers?

Looking forward to the conversation and contributions from the community

(1) Solution

I would think that the best option to fix the scenario as at the original data source.  When restoring a production Oracle DB into a non-production environment, the DBA should drop all of the production users out of the database so that the production LMS Scripts only find the non-prod DB Users for the NUP License.

During an actual Audit, the Oracle LMS Team may force you to count all 40000 users that exist in the restored database for NUP licensing.

Kirk

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I can imagine, you could automate something using a Business Import (custom query). I don't have proper testing data at hand, but you may have a look into the view/table "InstanceUser".

SELECT *
FROM InstanceUser

Best regards,

Markward

Thank you.

Yes I am aware of this table in the schema, but am not aware of how it behaves after the next import of data.  Also as indicated, making a change to data in FNMS which is then different to the LMS Audit zip file is not ideal and is not an action I would advise client to take.

Hi,

I am also not completely sure how FNMS would behave after the next import, but I would guess it would overwrite the changes. This is clearly about timing, making sure the changes are applied between inventory import and license reconcile.

Referring to your initial comment I think this approach would still be more transparent than leaving out the users completely.

Best regards,

Markward

I would think that the best option to fix the scenario as at the original data source.  When restoring a production Oracle DB into a non-production environment, the DBA should drop all of the production users out of the database so that the production LMS Scripts only find the non-prod DB Users for the NUP License.

During an actual Audit, the Oracle LMS Team may force you to count all 40000 users that exist in the restored database for NUP licensing.

Kirk

Agreed that would be best practice Captain.