cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving FNMS application server to new host

Hello, 

We will be moving the application and batch server to a completely new host, keeping the old DB server.

From you experience do we need to do anything more then only force reconfiguration of the application server and point the beacons to new server? 

In case of DB change we would need to update the Compliance Connection with the new DB name but in case of moving the entire Application and Batch server i guess we only need to configure it and move the custom XML configs from the previous server? 

Any advise would be appreciated 🙂

(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

I think, you're on the right track. If you're staying with the same FNMS release, I guess it should be:

1. "Disable" the application on the old server, you don't want 2 processing servers work on the same DB at the same time. Probably also want to avoid any data changes during that time. I would just stop the services, IIS and disable all the scheduled tasks.
  2.  Prepare the new server, including latest patches, roles (IIS) and prerequisites.
  3.  Install the app
  4. Configure the app
  5. Migrate & Update ComplianceConnections and Business Imports (mainly DB connections)
  6. Update your Beacons (parent connections)

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

I think, you're on the right track. If you're staying with the same FNMS release, I guess it should be:

1. "Disable" the application on the old server, you don't want 2 processing servers work on the same DB at the same time. Probably also want to avoid any data changes during that time. I would just stop the services, IIS and disable all the scheduled tasks.
  2.  Prepare the new server, including latest patches, roles (IIS) and prerequisites.
  3.  Install the app
  4. Configure the app
  5. Migrate & Update ComplianceConnections and Business Imports (mainly DB connections)
  6. Update your Beacons (parent connections)

This is exactly what i did and it worked 🙂 no issues so far, only problems are with migration of compliance connections 😞 unfortunately moving them to new beacon causes some duplications 😄 etc but after running them on two beacons and removing from old data imports all seems to be ok.

For  Step 6) Update your Beacons (parent connections), how to configure the Beacons pointing to new batch processing server? Do you have MOP?

Thanks

Details of the parent server that a beacon connects to are configured on the "Parent Connection" tab in the beacon UI. You can update details there as needed.

Here is the documentation page for this section of the UI: Parent Connection Tab.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)