cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Versioning

This question is of an urgent nature and if anyone might be able to provide some guidance here I would greatly appreciate.  I've tried to scan through the various info on Java but nothing is making sense to me.

I am trying to get to a comprehensive list of Java within our environment which I believe I have successfully captured.  What I cannot get to is correct versioning.  This is happening in roughly half the records I'm pulling.  Results are returning version:  1, 2, 5, etc.  which makes no sense to me while other records are pulling actual versioning that I expect, for instance, 6.0.31, 8.0.25, etc.  

Can someone explain and help me get to the actual versioning here?  

Thanks in advance

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

For Java installed on Windows, ensure both installer evidence (Add/Remove Programs) and file evidence for all java.exe files found on the filesystem are being gathered by your inventory tool and being imported into FlexNet Manager Suite. The Application Recognition Library (ARL) contains rules to recognize this type of evidence on Windows computers, and will normally be sufficient to recognize installed versions to a reasonable level of granularity to distinguish commercial and freeware versions.

For Java installed on Unix-like operating systems, regular installer and file evidence details are generally not specific enough to distinguish between commercial and freeware versions. The FlexNet agent is able to safely run "java -version" on these platforms to gather version information which is subsequently used for recognition. If you have some other source of inventory data for Unix-like operating systems then it will likely not provide detailed version information.

If you are using a relatively recent version of FlexNet Manager Suite, you can look at the "Evidence" tab on a particular inventory device record to see details of what evidence was used to detect a particular installation of an application on a particular device. This may give some insight into specifically what data there is causing installations that don't make sense to you, and give a starting point to further consider what it means or what options could be considered to get more accurate data.

For reference, here are some articles which contain additional details:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)