cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targets in Discovery & Inventory Rules

Is there a way to import a list of devices into a Target group? We haven't found any way to do it when we need to create a large list of devices for a Target group.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Unfortunately there is no formal interface for importing this type of data. I have heard of people working out the database schema where this data is stored and directly inserting/updated data into the database, but have never done that myself, and couldn't recommend it as an easy approach.

Also be aware that the implementation of targeting doesn't really scale to work well with targets that have more devices explicitly listed in them than you can effectively work with in the UI. i.e. The interface allows for say a few 10s or maybe (at a stretch) a few hundreds of devices on a target. But if you try to have thousands of devices on a target then you're likely getting into uncharted territory where things may not work well.

Scenarios that may be helped by being able to import target details and have targets that explicitly list a large number of devices (or IP address) would be a good thing to describe in the new Ideas area of Flexera Community. That will allow other people would be interested in this capability to vote on the idea to gauge the level of interest.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Unfortunately there is no formal interface for importing this type of data. I have heard of people working out the database schema where this data is stored and directly inserting/updated data into the database, but have never done that myself, and couldn't recommend it as an easy approach.

Also be aware that the implementation of targeting doesn't really scale to work well with targets that have more devices explicitly listed in them than you can effectively work with in the UI. i.e. The interface allows for say a few 10s or maybe (at a stretch) a few hundreds of devices on a target. But if you try to have thousands of devices on a target then you're likely getting into uncharted territory where things may not work well.

Scenarios that may be helped by being able to import target details and have targets that explicitly list a large number of devices (or IP address) would be a good thing to describe in the new Ideas area of Flexera Community. That will allow other people would be interested in this capability to vote on the idea to gauge the level of interest.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)