cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Flexera able to capture any attributes for connected devices to EUDs?

Does anyone know if Flexera able to capture any attributes for connected devices to EUDs - for example a device connected via USB?

(3) Solutions
jevans
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Good afternoon Doug, thanks for reaching out on the Community!

On a Windows device, the config file 'wmitrack.ini' controls what WMI information the Agent inventories.
If you could update that to remove the comment characters (;) from the Win32_USBDevice node, I imagine you'd see WMI evidence coming in for attached USB devices.

;[Win32_USBDevice]
;Caption
;ClassGuid
;Description
;DeviceID
;Manufacturer
;Name
;Status
;SystemName

https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/topics/FIA-WMIFormat.html

This would potentially require some additional deployment technology to update WMItrack.ini, however - to my knowledge, that's not something that may be updated by the Beacon or Agent Policy.

Microsoft's documentation, here, gives some insight of what information you'd get from those nodes in WMI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/cimwin32prov/cim-usbdevice

At the very least, you'd see this reflected in the Hardware tab in:
Discovered Device Properties > Inventory Evidence

I'd be curious to hear what others think, that said!

Kind regards and thanks,

Jack

Flexera Support

View solution in original post

In case you work with FNMS on-prem, would have to customize:

• FNMS for adding custom fields (i.e. to the Asset object)
  • The Flexera Agent for providing the additional information during scan of the hardware
  • The FNMS READER and WRITER files to make sure the custom fields are populated with the additional information retrieved by the agent.

A possible solution might be to create Assets in FNMS for the additional devices connected via USB. For Assets, FNMS allows using a parent/child relationship for tracking which computer the USB device is connected to.

Quite a bit of effort, but this might make it easier to track smaller hardware assets, too.

As an alternative to Custom Fields or additional Assets: Once the data is collected via the agent, as mentioned above, a simple SQL-based report could be used. It really depends on your use case.

(3) Replies
jevans
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Good afternoon Doug, thanks for reaching out on the Community!

On a Windows device, the config file 'wmitrack.ini' controls what WMI information the Agent inventories.
If you could update that to remove the comment characters (;) from the Win32_USBDevice node, I imagine you'd see WMI evidence coming in for attached USB devices.

;[Win32_USBDevice]
;Caption
;ClassGuid
;Description
;DeviceID
;Manufacturer
;Name
;Status
;SystemName

https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/topics/FIA-WMIFormat.html

This would potentially require some additional deployment technology to update WMItrack.ini, however - to my knowledge, that's not something that may be updated by the Beacon or Agent Policy.

Microsoft's documentation, here, gives some insight of what information you'd get from those nodes in WMI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/cimwin32prov/cim-usbdevice

At the very least, you'd see this reflected in the Hardware tab in:
Discovered Device Properties > Inventory Evidence

I'd be curious to hear what others think, that said!

Kind regards and thanks,

Jack

Flexera Support

In case you work with FNMS on-prem, would have to customize:

• FNMS for adding custom fields (i.e. to the Asset object)
  • The Flexera Agent for providing the additional information during scan of the hardware
  • The FNMS READER and WRITER files to make sure the custom fields are populated with the additional information retrieved by the agent.

A possible solution might be to create Assets in FNMS for the additional devices connected via USB. For Assets, FNMS allows using a parent/child relationship for tracking which computer the USB device is connected to.

Quite a bit of effort, but this might make it easier to track smaller hardware assets, too.

As an alternative to Custom Fields or additional Assets: Once the data is collected via the agent, as mentioned above, a simple SQL-based report could be used. It really depends on your use case.