cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory Device Properties for 'Thread' and 'Hyper Thread'

Hello All, 

We need to get the 'Hyper Thread' from inventory device property from Flexera agent. 

There is an attribute named 'Thread'. Are they same thing? If not, is there anyway we can get the 'Hyper Thread' from the agent? 

Thanks a lot. 

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's is a description of the Threads property on inventory device records (as per the page at https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Dev-Hardware_tab.html😞

This value is:
  • For a physical inventory device, the total number of threads available across all processor cores
  • For a virtual inventory device, the number of threads or logical processors (virtual processors) assigned to the device
  • For an inventory device record representing Oracle Database running in Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS), the CPU count returned by Oracle in inventory.

Hopefully this information allows you to compare against the specific definition of the data that you're looking for.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

The term 'HyperThreading' means that the operating system can address more than one virtual (logical) core for each physical core in a processor.

In other words: With 'HyperThreading', the number of threads becomes greater than the number of cores.

Basically, you have to compare the number of cores with the number of threads reported by your Inventory system for the same device.

• If the number of threads is higher than the number of cores, HyperThreading is enabled (very common for server hardware these days)
  • If numbers are equal, HyperThreading is not enabled

There are also some processors simply not supporting simultaneous multithreading (SMT).