cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM Region Requirements

Wondering why I can see the IBM Regions when I am in all "All Inventory", however, on the actual license record/consumption, those fields state "unknown region". Wondering why the correct region record is not reflected in both places.
(1) Solution

Hi Shelby

I’m glad it is working as expected now

If devices are not assigned to locations / associated to an IBM region then these devices with primary application installations will consume the license but the consumption for these will be represented in the compliance tab of the license under ‘Devices not assigned to any region’. In the PVU Consumption report these will show under the Region Name of ‘Unknown Region’.

When you later assign those devices to an IBM Region, following the next full reconciliation/import (likely nightly) FNMS will recalculate the peak consumption acknowledging this device as having resided in the confirmed Region and represent the devices consumption against that Region.

Thanks

Toby

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

View solution in original post

(7) Replies
tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi Shelby

Are IBM Regions showing in the All Inventory page or is only Enterprise Group 'Location' data reporting?

Have you assigned your Enterprise Group locations to IBM Region in FNMS? 

This can be conducted by going to the Locations page under Enterprise Groups in the FNMS UI and assigning your locations to their respective IBM Region. By default locations are not assigned to a region so your license consumption would report against the ‘Unknown Region’.

Once you assign your Locations to IBM Regions you will need to run a full reconcile/inventory import (or for most customers Inventory schedules likely wait until tomorrow) – The Peak consumption in FNMS 2019 is recalculated daily so the region consumption should now be recalculated for your PVU licenses acknowledging your devices as residing within their respective region locations.

For further details please review FNMS UI help and the FNMS 2019 ‘SystemReference’ Guide (available from product documentation) which has a specific section on 'Sub-Capacity licensing with IBM PVU'  - See the sub section ‘Configuring Regions for IBM’ for specifics.

Thanks

Toby

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

Hi Toby,

Are IBM Regions showing in the All Inventory page or is only Enterprise Group 'Location' data reporting? YES

Have you assigned your Enterprise Group locations to IBM Region in FNMS? YES

A full reconcile did run as well. 

Shelby

Ok Thanks

For the devices in the PVU license that is reporting the consumption in 'Unknown Region' - Are those inventory devices associated to locations that are assigned to IBM Regions?
Toby

Other point to check is what setting you have enabled for the location field linked on Virtual Machines and the physical host they are associated to.

If the virtual machine inherits the same location as its physical host; does the physical host have a location?  Ensure that location assigned to an IBM Region.

It should update without the need for full reconcile.

Jens

Thank you for this.  We were able to do some work yesterday and it "appears" that it has worked.  Seems that not all of the Hosts were pointing to any specific region which was causing whacky looking results. I haven't had time to check each and every PVU license, but I do believe we are on the right track!

We were able to research the IBM environment a bit more carefully yesterday and noticed many of our hosts were not showing a location/region.  When we updated that info and ran the reconcile, looks like things are calculating correctly.  I do have one question....do you know if all devices must be associated to a region to show consumption?  I'm confused about what my PVU report will show for those without a region assigned yet.  I can see them and on the license side it tells me the # of PVUs but just curious how that works its way down to the PVU report. 

Hi Shelby

I’m glad it is working as expected now

If devices are not assigned to locations / associated to an IBM region then these devices with primary application installations will consume the license but the consumption for these will be represented in the compliance tab of the license under ‘Devices not assigned to any region’. In the PVU Consumption report these will show under the Region Name of ‘Unknown Region’.

When you later assign those devices to an IBM Region, following the next full reconciliation/import (likely nightly) FNMS will recalculate the peak consumption acknowledging this device as having resided in the confirmed Region and represent the devices consumption against that Region.

Thanks

Toby