cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop a beacon system task

Hello.

One of the system tasks executed from beacon seems to be frozen and in the log I see it has not  been progressive for several hours.
I would like to end/stop this task but on beacon on FlexNet Beacon App I do not see the option to end that task, either in UI I do not see that option.

It is about FNMS 2020 R2.

BR,
Karo

(1) Solution

To kill a running inventory import process like that, you will need to find and kill the appropriate Windows process on the beacon. Here are some steps to do that using Windows Task Manager:

• Use Task Manager to view running processes, and configure it to show the command line of each process.
  • Look for a process named "ShadowHost.exe" that has a command line that includes something like the following:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\DotNet\bin\ComplianceReader.exe" -s <InventorySourceName>

This will be the process that is performing the import that you can then terminate.

Terminating an import process in this way may well leave the system status information somewhat out of sync - you may see a task on the System Status page being reported with a "pending" status for a day or two before eventually timing out.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(6) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you describe what task and log you are looking at here? There are many different types of tasks that run on beacons - how to stop a task will depend on what that task is.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi @KarolinaWilk1 ,

In general the tasks related to the Beacon can be start/stop can be managed only from the Task scheduler on the server under flexera like Upload FlexNet logs and inventories and Upload third party inventory data tasks.

Regards,

It is SCCM connection on FlexNet Beacon application running Source Type which is SMS connecting to SQL db.

To kill a running inventory import process like that, you will need to find and kill the appropriate Windows process on the beacon. Here are some steps to do that using Windows Task Manager:

• Use Task Manager to view running processes, and configure it to show the command line of each process.
  • Look for a process named "ShadowHost.exe" that has a command line that includes something like the following:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\DotNet\bin\ComplianceReader.exe" -s <InventorySourceName>

This will be the process that is performing the import that you can then terminate.

Terminating an import process in this way may well leave the system status information somewhat out of sync - you may see a task on the System Status page being reported with a "pending" status for a day or two before eventually timing out.

Hi Chris, thank you so much, please look at the attachment so that you can advise more about reconciling license step after importing.

Importing was done but now it's running the license reconciliation.

You will likely find one or more log files in the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\ComplianceReader\ directory on your batch server showing the activity of the import process up until the point it was terminated.