cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine device type Server or Desktop?

Hi Folks,

In FNMS "All inventory" view we have a column called "Inventory Device Type" that tells the device type whether inventory device is VM/VM HOST/Computer etc. but it isn't sufficient when you want to classify the the devices into two parts like Servers and Desktops.

I just wanted to know how you folks manage that since its a very basic thing in SAM practice and critical as well when it comes to software license compliance because of allocation and all that, what is your process and advise?

Cheers!

Farrukh Naz

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Whether a computer is a "server" or "desktop" is primarily a question of how it is used (that is, it is something identified through configuration management), not a question of information that can be gathered in inventory.

As @ReshmaB has suggested, looking at the operating system is often a good way to identify this. The OS will be a very adequate heuristic to use for many scenarios. But the operating system does not definitively identify whether the computer is used as a desktop or server.

Another approach is to integrate with a CMDB which tracks each computer (CI), and whether it is used for a desktop-type role, or a server-type role. This information could be imported into an appropriate property (such as the Category property, or a custom property) on inventory device records in Flexera One ITAM/FlexNet Manager Suite.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(11) Replies

you can classify through Operating System .

Example for windows -  if it contains windows server in os name then it should be considered as Server. or else if it just have windows then it's a desktop/laptop/computer.

Great, I also use OS for segregation but still its a manual effort.

@ChrisG  I wonder why Flexera is not implementing this simple feature and may I know if there is any plan?

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Whether a computer is a "server" or "desktop" is primarily a question of how it is used (that is, it is something identified through configuration management), not a question of information that can be gathered in inventory.

As @ReshmaB has suggested, looking at the operating system is often a good way to identify this. The OS will be a very adequate heuristic to use for many scenarios. But the operating system does not definitively identify whether the computer is used as a desktop or server.

Another approach is to integrate with a CMDB which tracks each computer (CI), and whether it is used for a desktop-type role, or a server-type role. This information could be imported into an appropriate property (such as the Category property, or a custom property) on inventory device records in Flexera One ITAM/FlexNet Manager Suite.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hello @FarrukhNaz ,

In addition, a new "Server" (Yes/No) flag has been introduced in version 2022R2 in the "Inventory" device objects (report builder) based on Operating System.

This "Server" (Yes/No) column will be released in 2022R2.2 at the end of this month in the All Inventory and Active Inventory screens.

Best regards

Nicolas

Hey @nrousseau1 - was this released yet to All Inventory & Active Inventory for NORAM Flex One? I am not seeing it yet.

@WStephans  for North America release date: March 8, 2023.

mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
We use a script that create assets incl the type of device. The logic is build on operating system and chassis type. First we find out which is server, followed by laptops and the rest is workstations very simplified.
Ex Red hat enterprise linux installed on rack mounted chassie = Server
Windows not including %server% on foldable = laptop
nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hello @FarrukhNaz ,

ITAM and FNMS 2022R2 have introduced a new "IsServer" attribute for device that is today only in the reporting (to come in various screens in 2023). This "IsServer" is using the same logic as what we have in the "FlexNet Manager Suite" license counts: servers are determined based on their Operating System.

Hope it helps,

Nicolas

Hi @nrousseau1 

Isnt it to simple only to look at the OS, as an example we use Ubuntu on laptops as developer clients. What are the criteria for what you call a server?

You could also include "AHV (Acropolis Hypervisor) 7.9.2009" or "AHV%" to the server list, that is the operating system used on Nutanix Hypervisors.

"IBM i V7R3M0 PowerPC 64" or "IBM i%"

This simple update is extremely powerful and helpful for building custom reports. Are there plans to make this 'Is Server' field an available column in standard Inventory Views (ex. All Inventory, Active Inventory, Apply Allocations & Exemptions, etc.)? That would be very helpful.

Glad to see the discussion here since, on older FNMS versions, "Inventory Device Type" does not reliably differentiate virtual devices in AWS from EUC devices.  Both are categorized as "Computer".  Operating System, Manufacturer and Model are helpful attributes to filter on when you are stuck on 2019 R1, as we are for now.

David Mathias

NTT DATA Services