Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNMS Agent Upgrade with custom wmitrack.ini

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

A customer is running a customized wmitrack.ini in their enviroment. Now they would like to use the built-in agent upgrade, but we believe this will overwrite the existing wmitrack.ini and disable their customizing on hundreds of machines.

The wmitrack.ini is part of the Data1.cab, which I was able to re-create using makecab.exe, but the new file does not work with the existing installer (obviously, this is a bit more complex).

Documentation has some details reagarding customizing the wmitrack.ini and using it in custom inventory scenarios, but I found nothing regarding deployment.

Is this use case in scope at all? Did I miss something in the docs?

My current understanding is that the customized wmitrack.ini would have to be deployed (manually/per script/3rd party deployment) after the agent has been upgraded. Any ideas?

Best regards,

Markward

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

If you haven't actually tested/verified that the wmitrack.ini file gets replaced when the agent is upgraded, it would be worthwhile testing that.

According to https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2022R1/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/topics/FIA-WMIFormat.html, "This file is never updated automatically" - so hopefully that matches what you see in actual testing.

If you do need to make changes to the wmitrack.ini file that is installed, I would probably look to do that using some process outside of the agent installer itself.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

If you haven't actually tested/verified that the wmitrack.ini file gets replaced when the agent is upgraded, it would be worthwhile testing that.

According to https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2022R1/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/topics/FIA-WMIFormat.html, "This file is never updated automatically" - so hopefully that matches what you see in actual testing.

If you do need to make changes to the wmitrack.ini file that is installed, I would probably look to do that using some process outside of the agent installer itself.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Good point, I'll test it.

I tested the automatic agent upgrade v16 > v17 and the wmitrack.ini is replaced by the default one in this process. I mean, it's part of the installer, I would wonder if the installer worked correctly, if it didn't update all the files...