cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does FNMS discover Content Management Systems (CMS)

Hi everyone,

Are we able to discover/collect inventory about content management systems like Liferay, Adobe Experience Manager, DNN (DotNetNuke), Drupal, WordPress, Kentico CMS, Umbraco, Joomla, SPIP, pirobase CM, TYPO3 CMS, Microsoft SharePoint, 1C-Bitrix, Sitecore, Drupal, Sitefinity, Squarespace, Wix etc...

Thanks in advance.

(3) Replies

out of the box FNMS can connect to a variety of sources for inventory systems, I will post a quick screenshot showing the selection available:

2019-09-12_13-13-54.png

2019-09-12_13-12-19.png

2019-09-12_13-12-36.png

2019-09-12_13-12-58.png

2019-09-12_13-13-33.png

You can find these on your beacon under Inventory Systems>New2019-09-12_13-17-02.png

Of course you can also make customisations also for additional sources but I wont get into that, our services team is best to advice on such endevours

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-collins-7aa71a3b

Come to think of it I do not believe we do have compatibility with CMS systems generally, I know I have used WordPress and Joomla in the past for my own projects and found no way to integrate them with fnms out of the box.  It may be worth raising an enhancement if you believe this would be beneficial to the product however

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-collins-7aa71a3b
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The answer to the general question "does FlexNet discover/collect inventory about software XYZ" depends on what sort of footprint the software has on computers, and what data is gathered by the inventory gathering tool you are using.

FlexNet models software inventory imported from your inventory source(s) using two primary concepts:

• Installer evidence, which is a name/version/publisher tuple of values. On Windows, this type of data will commonly come from the Add/Remove Programs area in the registry or from the Windows Installer database. On Linux computers this type of data will commonly come from the installed list of RPM packages and other similar sources. Other operating systems have similar sources.
  • File evidence, which is a name/version/company/description/size tuple. This type of data typically represents executable files found on the filesystem. Details except for name and size are typically taken from the WinPE file header on Windows, and are typically blank on non-Windows operating systems.

So to answer the general question "does FlexNet discover/collect inventory about software XYZ", think through:

1. Does the software XYZ have a footprint on a computer that the inventory gathering tool I am using will pick up?
  2. Does the footprint that is picked up by the inventory gathering tool get imported into FlexNet as either installer or file evidence?

If the answer to both questions is "yes", then FlexNet will be able to recognize installations of the software.

For some software, specialized data gathering is appropriate as one or both of the above questions do not have a "yes" answer. If you are using the FlexNet agent for gathering inventory, it contains capabilities to gather specialized data for software such as:

• Oracle Database
  • Microsoft SQL Server
  • Microsoft Exchange Server
  • Microsoft SharePoint Server
  • Microsoft BizTalk Server
  • Adobe DC
  • Various IBM server products, such as WebSphere MQ Queue Manager and Tivoli Storage Manager/Spectrum Protect

Except for Microsoft SharePoint, the FlexNet agent does not have any specialized data gathering capability for other CMS systems listed in this question - so the generalized tests described above should be applied for those systems.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)