cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device showing in Virtual Devices and Clusters but not showing in All Inventory

Hi, 
As per the topic I have installed the agent on a device and it has reported it's inventory. I have run the reconciliation and can see it on Virtual Devices and Clusters page but not on All Inventory page. Does anyone have idea why?

Thanks in advance, 
Paweł

(1) Solution
nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Good the issue is gone, someone will close the topic then!

To provide a more convincing explanation (you were admin, so indeed, no restirction topic), here is what I could say:

There is some latency in some screens related to access rights (again)... there is a post import calculation of "Authorized computers", "License Consumption for operator" etc. (some tables called _PC are storing the per operator restricted data, for instance:  ComplianceComputerPerOperator_PC_MT).

These tables used by the views of the restricted screens (the "All devices" screen... but not the Virtual Devices and Clusters screen that is not correctly restricted). That's sometimes strange, for instance, if you do a business importer that updates cost centers, just after the import, the devices details will show the new cost center, but not the all inventory screen... if you unlink purchases from their licenses, they will appear in the "unprocessed purchase" after 3 minutes.

This restricted data historization was implemented to enhance performance but causes some latencies on screens that hopefully make sense now. 

Best regards,

Nicolas

Nicolas Rousseau
Licensing Architect
https://www.nrsamconsulting.com

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hello  Pawel,

Is it a virtual Machine that you don't see? Technically, both screens are reading from the same tables (VirtualMachine and ComplianceComputer), one is starting from VM (the screen where you see the record), one from the ComplianceComputer table (the all inventory screen). 

Do you have access restrictions? There could be a case where you cannot see the new VM that is not yet linked to your authorized entities... while the Virtual Devices and Clusters page is not filtering out based on your restrictions, which is a bug. I just tested on my demo system a user with a restriction. He sees 300 VMs in the all inventory screen and 1600 in this page. Sounds like an access restriction issue in the Virtual Devices and Clusters page.

Once the device will be linked to an authorized entity, you will see it.

Hope it helps,

Nicolas

Nicolas Rousseau
Licensing Architect

Hello Nicolas, hope you are doing well.

Looks like the problem is gone, the device is showing on both screens now. A bit of surprise to be honest, because it's probably because of overnight reconciliation. As I mentioned, I did run reconciliation yesterday after installing the agent although to shorten the time I just picked one publisher and choose "Update inventory for reconciliation" back then. But the problem I have with your explanation is that (I did not mention that) the device was showing in ComplianceComputer table and yet, for some reason not in the webUI on All inventory screen. I was logged in as administrator so access restrictions are out of question. 

regards,
PaweÅ‚ 

nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Good the issue is gone, someone will close the topic then!

To provide a more convincing explanation (you were admin, so indeed, no restirction topic), here is what I could say:

There is some latency in some screens related to access rights (again)... there is a post import calculation of "Authorized computers", "License Consumption for operator" etc. (some tables called _PC are storing the per operator restricted data, for instance:  ComplianceComputerPerOperator_PC_MT).

These tables used by the views of the restricted screens (the "All devices" screen... but not the Virtual Devices and Clusters screen that is not correctly restricted). That's sometimes strange, for instance, if you do a business importer that updates cost centers, just after the import, the devices details will show the new cost center, but not the all inventory screen... if you unlink purchases from their licenses, they will appear in the "unprocessed purchase" after 3 minutes.

This restricted data historization was implemented to enhance performance but causes some latencies on screens that hopefully make sense now. 

Best regards,

Nicolas

Nicolas Rousseau
Licensing Architect