cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definition for Host Identifying Number

In the new Inventory Device Matching view, I see a number of our servers with the following entry.  

Match by host identifying number and manufacturer

I can't find a definition for the host identifying number.  What is it?  Is there a way to view its value for a particular inventory record?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I can't find much information about the Host identifying number property, although the page at https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/Schema/index.html#SysRef/schema/ComplianceSchema/Compliance.Logic.CoreTables/reference/ComplianceComputer.html does describe it as follows:

Virtual hosts may have an identifier that is unique only across that hardware model. It is less unique than the true hardware serial number, for example.

The property does not appear to be exposed much in the UI. The only places I can find it is in the column chooser in the following reports:

• Device installation details
  • Device license details
  • Application installation details

If you have access to the compliance database, you could also see values for this property in the ComplianceComputer.HostIdentifyingNumber column.

(In relation to the references to the AgentID in other comments on this thread - you are correct that the Host identifying number property is unrelated to the AgentID.)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

So you're suggesting that HostIdentifyingIumber is another name for AgentID.   That's an interesting idea, but it doesn't seem to hold up.  According to that discussion, AgentID was introduced with 2019 R2.  But if I look at the 2018 R2 version of Gathering Inventory, they are already using HostIdentifyingIumber.  That would imply it was something that predated AgentID.  Or I suppose it's also possible it's a somewhat generic term whose meaning has changed between versions.  

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I can't find much information about the Host identifying number property, although the page at https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/Schema/index.html#SysRef/schema/ComplianceSchema/Compliance.Logic.CoreTables/reference/ComplianceComputer.html does describe it as follows:

Virtual hosts may have an identifier that is unique only across that hardware model. It is less unique than the true hardware serial number, for example.

The property does not appear to be exposed much in the UI. The only places I can find it is in the column chooser in the following reports:

• Device installation details
  • Device license details
  • Application installation details

If you have access to the compliance database, you could also see values for this property in the ComplianceComputer.HostIdentifyingNumber column.

(In relation to the references to the AgentID in other comments on this thread - you are correct that the Host identifying number property is unrelated to the AgentID.)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I ran a query on ComplianceComputer to see what sort of values we had for Host identifying number.  For about 90% of our records the value was null.  There were about 10,000 records that had a value.  It seemed to vary somewhat depending on the type of machine.  I saw the following:

• Hostname
  • FQDN
  • Chassis serial number
  • TCP/IP address

This seems right in line with the information you found.  

Various documentation pages have now been updated to explain the Host identifying number value a little more.

For example, from https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Dev-General_tab.html and https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Dev-InventoryMatching.html:

Chassis number

The chassis number assigned to (or reported for) the device. It is a manufacturer-provided identification code that you can use for identification and inventory purposes. For Windows-based computers, it is often displayed on the back of the computer's case, and often the same as the serial number. For UNIX-based computers, you can use system commands similar to getconf MACHINE_SERIAL. For inventory imported from ILMT, this is the Identifying Number reported by ILMT. This identifying number is unique only within the context of a given manufacturer and computer model.

Note: Depending on the operating system and hardware type, the Host identifying number of some inventory devices takes this Chassis number value.

And from https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Rep_AppInstallDetails.html:

Host identifying number

An identifier of a physical server that is unique across that hardware model. Depending on the operating system and hardware type, it could be the manufacturer's chassis number reported for the device.

Editable as the Chassis number field in the General tab of the inventory device properties (for manually-created records).