cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Containers - How have you used and fit into your planning?

Hi, all!

It's been a few weeks since container functionality has been rolled out. The expanded options are exciting, but also add new variables to your daily planning. I'm wondering - how have you incorporated it into your work thus far? Any lessons learned for others who are just starting out?

Also, if there's enough interest, we could organize an informal call with several of us to discuss how we have used them online. Let me know!

Best,
Katie

From the Announcing FlexNet Manager 2020 R1 release post: 

Docker container discovery and inventory on Linux

FlexNet Manager agent can now discover your Docker containers on Linux and collect inventory of software running in these containers.  This will allow you to understand whether software deployed in containers impacts license consumption.

This is the initial release of this capability and we will continue to update it in future releases to ensure you are able to discover containers, track software deployed in container images and include that software in appropriate license compliance calculations.  Application installation inventory from Docker containers provides visibility into what software is deployed, but in this release it will not contribute towards your license consumption. We are looking for your feedback to help prioritize future work, so please post your feedback in the comments section for this post–we would love to hear examples of software and license models that you have running in containers.

If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
(1) Reply
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

In this context, I would be really be interested how containers are relevant for compliance at all right now.

• What kind of applications do you publish in containers?
  • And what is the usage context (dev, test, production)?
  • Is anyone in contact with the respective publishers?
  • And are there clear consumptions rules?
  • Does the current data schema contain all the necessary details to apply above consumption rules?

Best regards,

Markward