cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Inventory Beacon For 10,000 or 20,000 Devices? Documentation References Both Numbers.

Hi all ...

In the on-line help, in the document "One Inventory Beacon or Many", it says:  "For good performance, limit each beacon to about 10,000 devices that it will inventory directly or through the installed FlexNet inventory agent. ".

In the Upgrade Guide for FNMS 2022 R1 On-Prem, page 10, under "Fan Out", it says: "Provide one inventory beacon for every 20,000 (or so) devices with the locally-installed FlexNet inventory agent."

What is the current recommendation for the number of devices per inventory beacon?

--Mark

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The two numbers in two different places are probably a good indication of the range, and that this is not a precise art. There's no right or wrong answer. If you are operating in a situation where you need to be conservative because it won't be easy to add beacons in the future, go for more beacons up front (say use the 10,000 devices/beacon number). If you're operating in a situation where you can easily add beacons to scale up if/as needed, you could err towards the other end (say 20,000 devices/beacon) initially and then measure how the system copes.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The two numbers in two different places are probably a good indication of the range, and that this is not a precise art. There's no right or wrong answer. If you are operating in a situation where you need to be conservative because it won't be easy to add beacons in the future, go for more beacons up front (say use the 10,000 devices/beacon number). If you're operating in a situation where you can easily add beacons to scale up if/as needed, you could err towards the other end (say 20,000 devices/beacon) initially and then measure how the system copes.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)