cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Computer Relationship in ServiceNow

I would like some help understanding how the user/computer relationship information gets transferred from App Broker to ServiceNow, when using ServiceNow as the front end. I get how the information gets to App Broker, but the ServiceNow administrator and myself are having trouble getting that information to show up in ServiceNow.

(1) Solution

User/computer relationships do not flow from App Broker to ServiceNow.  In fact, any user/computer relationships that exist in App Broker are completely irrelevant when using ServiceNow as the front-end.  That's because all requests being submitted are coming from the same service account with "full admin" rights via the REST API.  The customer is responsible for populating their own user/computer relationships in ServiceNow, which can either match what may be in App Broker or can be completely different.  The most common mechanisms for this are either through a direct sync between SCCM and ServiceNow or from the integration between FNMS and ServiceNow (this is kind of backward from the typical FNMS/ServiceNow integration, where ServiceNow would normally tell FNMS who the assigned user is, but it can be done).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

User/computer relationships do not flow from App Broker to ServiceNow.  In fact, any user/computer relationships that exist in App Broker are completely irrelevant when using ServiceNow as the front-end.  That's because all requests being submitted are coming from the same service account with "full admin" rights via the REST API.  The customer is responsible for populating their own user/computer relationships in ServiceNow, which can either match what may be in App Broker or can be completely different.  The most common mechanisms for this are either through a direct sync between SCCM and ServiceNow or from the integration between FNMS and ServiceNow (this is kind of backward from the typical FNMS/ServiceNow integration, where ServiceNow would normally tell FNMS who the assigned user is, but it can be done).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

We are having the same issue with users assigned to computers in ServiceNow but their is no assigned user in SCCM/MECM.  The request fails since no user is assigned to the computer.  Is it possible to configure AppPortal and the workflow from ServiceNow for software requests to not care about user assignments and just install software for computers without users assigned?

Again, relationships in App Broker don't matter when you're using ServiceNow as the front end.  If the relationships exist in ServiceNow, it doesn't matter if you have relationships in App Broker or not.  That would not be why your requests would be failing.  The data validation in the ServiceNow workflow starts by checking to see if the user is known to App Broker.  As long as the user exists in Active Directory with the same email address that's in ServiceNow, it should flow through SCCM AD User Discovery to App Broker (via the nightly user data sync).  If you look in App Broker at Imported Users, you should see the user with the matching email address.  If there is no user with that email address, the data validation will fail.  If there are multiple users with the same email address, the request could fail, depending on which account is checked (indeterminate).

Next, the data validation checks to see if the selected device is a valid deployment target.  Again, if the device exists in SCCM and appears as a managed client in SCCM, it should flow through to App Broker (via the nightly computer data sync) and show up in Imported Computers.  If the computer does not show up in App Broker Imported Computers, or if the device is not showing as a managed client in SCCM, then the data validation in ServiceNow will fail with an error about "Deployment Technology: 0".

There is never a situation where the request will fail because of a missing relationship in App Broker, as long as there is a single user in Imported Users with a matching email address and there is a valid SCCM client device in Imported Computers with a matching computer name.