dbeckner
Consultant

Upgrade/Retire Campaigns

Jump to solution

We are looking at implementing upgrade and retire campaigns at our customer. The documentation and steps seem pretty straight forward. I am looking for any best practices for this that the community may have, as well as, what the process is under the hood.

1. How quickly does App Portal kick off an upgrade or retire campaign after configuration?

2. I don't see any scheduled tasks for this...does the ESD service handle it?

3. On our 2018 R1 instance when i configure an upgrade campaign and select  View targeted devices the website encounters an unexpected error. This occurs for license reclamation..i imagine the code for both sections are related so it would have been handled in future releases? -- "IOJ-2068842: Performance issues with My Apps - targeted devices link times out."

Any other pertinent information relating to this process would be helpful.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlesW
Flexera
Flexera

Re: Upgrade/Retire Campaigns

Jump to solution

Upgrade and Retire campaigns are tied to the same scheduled task as the "standard" reclamation campaign.. As such, they will run once a week by default, but you can kick off the scheduled task manually for testing.  They are quite similar to what you have already been working with, so you can usually take the same steps when testing.

There is a know issue with the "targeted devices" link in 2018 R1.. This was fixed in 2019 R1 for campaigns under My Apps, but it still existed for the Retire Campaign and Upgrade campaign.. The issue should be fixed for upgrade and retire campaigns in 2021 R1.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
CharlesW
Flexera
Flexera

Jump to solution

Upgrade and Retire campaigns are tied to the same scheduled task as the "standard" reclamation campaign.. As such, they will run once a week by default, but you can kick off the scheduled task manually for testing.  They are quite similar to what you have already been working with, so you can usually take the same steps when testing.

There is a know issue with the "targeted devices" link in 2018 R1.. This was fixed in 2019 R1 for campaigns under My Apps, but it still existed for the Retire Campaign and Upgrade campaign.. The issue should be fixed for upgrade and retire campaigns in 2021 R1.

View solution in original post

dbeckner
Consultant

Jump to solution

@CharlesW For this to work does the presence of the old and new version of the application need to exist in StoreFront or just the new version?

0 Kudos
melinda_atkeisso
Active participant

Jump to solution

Would this explain why we are not seeing the targeted devices on a retirement campaign? The user/computer relationships exists but even several days after setting up a retirement campaign, we are not seeing the devices listed under view devices in App Portal WebUI.

Thanks,

Mel

0 Kudos
CharlesW
Flexera
Flexera

Jump to solution

@dbeckner - With regards to the upgrade campaign, it is the "old" version that My Apps is looking for in FNMS.. Basically, all it cares about is whether or not the FlexeraID is installed.. If installed, then it will create a new alert which will install the "target" catalog item displayed under the upgrade campaign summary...

0 Kudos