cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling software form MAC devices using JAMF Admin

Uninstalling software form MAC devices using JAMF Admin

What is the recommended approach from Flexera to uninstall software from MAC Devices seeing as JAMF has retired JAMF Admin last March 2024?  Is there an alternate approach recommended by JAMF and supported by Flexera?

Thanks,

(7) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not sure that Flexera would have much of an opinion on how software gets uninstalled from MAC devices, or how that relates to anything you're doing with Flexera One software.

A consideration might be to ensure that whatever installation footprint is gathered as evidence in inventory for importing into Flexera One ITV and/or ITAM is cleaned up, but I expect pretty much any uninstallation approach you use should take care of that for most software on MAC devices.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thanks Chris, the use case falls under reclamation processes when using App Broker.  If JAMF no longer has a viable solution to uninstall software from MAC devices, we were wondering if Flexera had a recommendation for an approach that could still fulfill the use case. Thanks, Rochard

OK. I have moved this thread to the appropriate forum for discussing topics related to App Broker.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sorry not sure what you mean when you say "Jamf Admin". Can you provide a link describing what you are referring to, so I can better understand how this relates to App Broker?

Hi Charles,

https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-pro-release-notes-current/page/Deprecations_and_Removals.html

Here's the link to JAMF on the deprecation to JAMF Admin.  JAMF Admin had the uninstall capability.

Thanks, Richard 

App Broker does not install/uninstall software. App Broker integrates with various supported deployment systems to coordinate installation/removal of software.  If Jamf is removing the ability to uninstall Mac software, then the question of how to uninstall Mac software using Jamf should go back to Jamf.  Certainly if Jamf is providing a new way of uninstalling Mac software, then Flexera Engineering could consider supporting that in a future App Broker release.  But if no alternative method is provided by Jamf, then App Broker simply would not be able to uninstall software from Mac devices.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

App Broker requires that "Allow package to be uninstalled" be selected on the package (as shown below). The description on this sugging states "packages can only be indexed using Jamf Admin". Does this mean that when Jamf Admin is removed, the option "Allow package to be uninstalled" will be removed from packages as well? App Broker does not directly require Jamf Admin but it does require that Allow package to be uninstalled be selected. Perhaps there is (or will be) another way to index packages? Certainly, if the Allow package to be uninstalled option is removed, App Broker will not be able to uninstall. packageSettings .png