cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Item Actions: Defined

I've been looking for definitions of the default "Current Events and Actions" items. I'm not seeing these defined anywhere. Can somebody point me to where these items are defined. To be fair, they seem fairly straight forward but what I'm curious about is what the difference is between On Submit Approval and On Request Approval

The use case is that the customer has a piece of software that needs to be manually installed and we want to tie a Remedy ticket creation to the catalog for when it gets approved.

(1) Solution

Unfortunately, the documentation does not currently describe the events, so I'll do my best to describe them here.  @CharlesW or others, please keep me honest if you see something that isn't right.

On Submit - Always fires for any catalog item type upon clicking the "Submit" button

On Submit No Approval - Only fires for requests where no approval is required (triggered by "Submit" button)

On Submit Approval - Only fires for requests where an approval is required (triggered by "Submit" button).  Keep in mind that if you have  conditions on any of your approval workflows or steps within your workflows, you may end up with no approval required even if there is an approval workflow attached to the catalog item.  If that happens, the On Submit No Approval event will fire instead of the On Submit Approval event.

On Approver Approval - Fires each time the request is approved by an individual approver.  If there are multiple approval levels in your workflow, this event will fire multiple times (once for each approval).

On Request Approval - Fires once when a request has been fully approved (i.e. receives last level of approval). If no approvals are required, this event will not fire.

On Request Rejected - Fires once when a request has been rejected.  Will not fire if "recommending" reject.

On Submit for Install - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires just before the request target (user or device) is added to the appropriate install collection.

On Submit for Uninstall - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires just before the request target (user or device) is added to the appropriate uninstall collection.

On Success Install - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an install success status message from the deployment system.

On Fail Install - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an install failure status message from the deployment system or if one of the failure timers expires.  If the timer to "prevent false flags" is configured, this event will not fire until this timer expires.

On Success Uninstall - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an uninstall success status message from the deployment system.

On Fail Uninstall - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an uninstall failure status message from the deployment system or if one of the failure timers expires.  If the timer to "prevent false flags" is configured, this event will not fire until this timer expires.

By URL - I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this event fires when you add a catalog item to the cart using the "direct link" listed in that catalog item's properties.

On Cancel - Fires when a request is canceled (either from My Requests or via API).

On Check Status - Fires on the interval specified for the "Frequency to check status of requests with External Systems" timer.  Applies to any active request with an action set on this event.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

Unfortunately, the documentation does not currently describe the events, so I'll do my best to describe them here.  @CharlesW or others, please keep me honest if you see something that isn't right.

On Submit - Always fires for any catalog item type upon clicking the "Submit" button

On Submit No Approval - Only fires for requests where no approval is required (triggered by "Submit" button)

On Submit Approval - Only fires for requests where an approval is required (triggered by "Submit" button).  Keep in mind that if you have  conditions on any of your approval workflows or steps within your workflows, you may end up with no approval required even if there is an approval workflow attached to the catalog item.  If that happens, the On Submit No Approval event will fire instead of the On Submit Approval event.

On Approver Approval - Fires each time the request is approved by an individual approver.  If there are multiple approval levels in your workflow, this event will fire multiple times (once for each approval).

On Request Approval - Fires once when a request has been fully approved (i.e. receives last level of approval). If no approvals are required, this event will not fire.

On Request Rejected - Fires once when a request has been rejected.  Will not fire if "recommending" reject.

On Submit for Install - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires just before the request target (user or device) is added to the appropriate install collection.

On Submit for Uninstall - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires just before the request target (user or device) is added to the appropriate uninstall collection.

On Success Install - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an install success status message from the deployment system.

On Fail Install - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an install failure status message from the deployment system or if one of the failure timers expires.  If the timer to "prevent false flags" is configured, this event will not fire until this timer expires.

On Success Uninstall - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an uninstall success status message from the deployment system.

On Fail Uninstall - Only applies to software catalog items.  Fires upon receiving an uninstall failure status message from the deployment system or if one of the failure timers expires.  If the timer to "prevent false flags" is configured, this event will not fire until this timer expires.

By URL - I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this event fires when you add a catalog item to the cart using the "direct link" listed in that catalog item's properties.

On Cancel - Fires when a request is canceled (either from My Requests or via API).

On Check Status - Fires on the interval specified for the "Frequency to check status of requests with External Systems" timer.  Applies to any active request with an action set on this event.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Jim, your list looks good, thanks!   Since this post will be helpful in the future (we really should add this to our documentation), I also wanted to add a mapping of eventID's to the action descriptions.. These eventID's are logged in a number of different locations, and it is sometimes helpful to know what event that is firing based on the eventID.

On Submit = 0,

On Submit No Approval = 12,

On Submit Approval = 13,

On Approver Approval = 1,

On Request Approval = 2,

On Request Rejected = 8,

On Submit For Install = 3,

On Submit For Uninstall = 4,

On Success Install = 5,

On Fail Install = 6,

On Success Uninstall = 10,

On Fail Uninstall = 11,

By URL = 7

Thanks for that ID list, Charlie.  Here are a couple more:

On Cancel = 9

On Check Status = 99