cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Portal redundancy

I need to set up disaster recovery for App Portal and have some questions and wondering if anyone has done this.

Datacenter 1 - Current production app server and database running behind an F5.  The F5 currently handles SSL

Datacenter 2 - DR app server and database server.  Our company requirement is the app and web server must both fail over.

The server team just copied the production database to the DR database server.  I'm going to install App Portal (same version as production) on the new app server and point to the newly restored database.

Once these are set up, then we would stop the ESD service on the DR app server, set up mirroring and keep the app folders in sync then move it behind the F5.

As long as these two app and database servers are not mirroring each other during the install I don't think  there should be an issue but I wanted to see if there might be anything  haven't thought of.

(2) Solutions

I have these synced on my mirrored instance:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Backgrounds\Packages – stores icons for catalog items.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Uploads\Commands – stores scripts/executables for server-based script commands.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\WS\Custom – used for any custom web services you create. You could either backup this folder or just keep a backup copy of any custom web services you place here.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Logs – stores all App Portal logs.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Images\Customer - custom images

View solution in original post

Please keep in mind that App Broker was designed to work with a redundant database (via SQL clustering), but it was not designed to support redundant application servers.  As Teri indicated in the original post, the ESDService must only be enabled/running on one server at a time.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights on this @TeriStevenson. The approach you've suggested generally sounds OK to me to try out to try to get this to work - let us know how it goes!

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I have setup high availability for App portal via windows cluster in my environment and it is working fine absolutely.

Could please suggest me, do I need to sync any of the folder between the servers. Please elaborate those files and folders, if i need to sync anything between both servers.

I have these synced on my mirrored instance:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Backgrounds\Packages – stores icons for catalog items.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Uploads\Commands – stores scripts/executables for server-based script commands.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\WS\Custom – used for any custom web services you create. You could either backup this folder or just keep a backup copy of any custom web services you place here.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Logs – stores all App Portal logs.
D:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\Images\Customer - custom images

Hi @TeriStevenson,

Thanks for your quick responses.

I will also try to sync those files and folders each other servers.

Please keep in mind that App Broker was designed to work with a redundant database (via SQL clustering), but it was not designed to support redundant application servers.  As Teri indicated in the original post, the ESDService must only be enabled/running on one server at a time.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".